Brake Lights won't turn off - Nissan Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old Aug 11th, 2005, 02:03 PM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6
Brake Lights won't turn off

About a month ago, after stepping out of a store, I noticed my brake lights were on, with the car off. I know nothing about cars, and the guy at auto zone said it was probably the brake light switch, so I tried to replace that, but the ones they showed as being compatible with my car, weren't. the plug was alot bigger on the switch, so he rigged up some wire connectors to the switch, and had me try splicing the wires. Did that, and the lights were still on with the new switch, so I got my money back & reinstalled the old switch.

I have checked and rechecked all the bulbs, I read that the brake lights are dual fillament, and those checked out ok. I noticed one night, the yellow lights on the front sides of the car, are also on very faintly.

Even with disconnecting my battery wherever I go, to save battery life, it lasts me about a week, before I have to do a full charge on it. Any help will be appreciated. I hate taking my car to the mechanic, because I always think it'll be another 500$ job like they usually are.. like when my fuel pump went out last year, in the middle of west texas desertland.

Thank you,
Vandermast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old Aug 12th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 101
hmmm, a short somewhere maybe?
#3 Old Aug 12th, 2005, 01:26 AM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6
it's possible, but I have no clue on where to even start looking. from the brake switch, it goes into the "tube" of cables, and from there, I'm lost. I tried moving the tube o' cables around that was in the trunk, and still no luck, so it may not be in the trunk area where the short's at.
#4 Old Aug 12th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Nissan Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 264
Are you sure its the BRAKES that are on and not just the TAILS? You said your side markers were on too and thats why I asked. The stalk on the side of the steering wheel that has the light switch on it may have a short. Just a suggestion.
Acceler8ter is offline  
#5 Old Aug 12th, 2005, 02:13 AM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6
yes, it's the brake lights. when I turn the lights on and I look inside the trunk, at the bulbs, the other filament turns on, with the lights off, the "tail light" filament turns off too.
#6 Old Aug 12th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Nissan Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandermast
yes, it's the brake lights. when I turn the lights on and I look inside the trunk, at the bulbs, the other filament turns on, with the lights off, the "tail light" filament turns off too.
Hmm... sucks bro. I know what your going through. I'm currently re-wiring a tanker trailer because the far left tail light is really bright and it back feeds the power through the system and causes all the lights on the semi to turn on. I unhooked all the wires to that tail light at the hub and it went back to normal. The wire is grounding on something but it doesn't make sense, its running through a plastic conduit, there is nothing for it to touch or rub against. It sucks and I feel your pain.
Acceler8ter is offline  
#7 Old Aug 13th, 2005, 11:25 AM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1
Wierd huh same thing is happening to my altima right now - its been like his for the past 4 monnths - and i still dont know what to do HELP
#8 Old Aug 14th, 2005, 08:39 PM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandermast
About a month ago, after stepping out of a store, I noticed my brake lights were on, with the car off. I know nothing about cars, and the guy at auto zone said it was probably the brake light switch, so I tried to replace that, but the ones they showed as being compatible with my car, weren't. the plug was alot bigger on the switch, so he rigged up some wire connectors to the switch, and had me try splicing the wires. Did that, and the lights were still on with the new switch, so I got my money back & reinstalled the old switch.

I have checked and rechecked all the bulbs, I read that the brake lights are dual fillament, and those checked out ok. I noticed one night, the yellow lights on the front sides of the car, are also on very faintly.

Even with disconnecting my battery wherever I go, to save battery life, it lasts me about a week, before I have to do a full charge on it. Any help will be appreciated. I hate taking my car to the mechanic, because I always think it'll be another 500$ job like they usually are.. like when my fuel pump went out last year, in the middle of west texas desertland.

Thank you,
Vandermast.
The same thing is happening to my 95 Altima. The first thing is there are two different brake light switches for the 95 Altima. Bring your old one to the dealer and they will be able to replace it. But with that said ... I replaced my switch last night and the brake lights are still on. Right now I'm keeping the fuse out and driving with no brake lights until I can figure out what is wrong.
Miami95Altima is offline  
#9 Old Aug 18th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Biru O' Kudasai
 
KA24Tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Golden CO
Posts: 1,426
I don't remember exactly but I think that there is a plastic button that the brake light switch contacts when the pedal is up. Check the contact pad on your switch(s) the threaded end of the switch and the pedal stopper should be between .012 and .039 in. if not then the stopper is broken or the switch needs to be adjusted.

Troy

SHIFT_Happiness
1992 S13 240SX SE Fastback KA24DE 5 spd
1993 U13 Altima SE KA24DET 5 spd
1990 Z32 300ZX VG30DETT 5 spd
Still trying to import a 1988 R31 Skyline GTS-R w/ RB20DET-R
#10 Old Aug 18th, 2005, 03:37 PM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6
That had fallen apart, but the guy at autozone said I could tape a penny to the spot where it was, and I did, and the switch does get depressed all the way with the penny there, I had to adjust the switch over a tiny bit, but it's making full contact. I remembered today, when I took the switch off, to put the (wrong) new one on from auto zone, and the cables were disconnected, the lights were still on.. and I had tried shorting the contacts with a piece of wire, and no change. does this mean the short is beyond the switch? somewhere between the path of the switch and the lamps? pulling the fuses causes no change either.
#11 Old Aug 19th, 2005, 06:28 AM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandermast
That had fallen apart, but the guy at autozone said I could tape a penny to the spot where it was, and I did, and the switch does get depressed all the way with the penny there, I had to adjust the switch over a tiny bit, but it's making full contact. I remembered today, when I took the switch off, to put the (wrong) new one on from auto zone, and the cables were disconnected, the lights were still on.. and I had tried shorting the contacts with a piece of wire, and no change. does this mean the short is beyond the switch? somewhere between the path of the switch and the lamps? pulling the fuses causes no change either.
Did you pull the 3rd fuse down on the left side of the drivers side fuse box that is inside the car? That fuse should turn the lights off.

Last edited by Miami95Altima; Aug 19th, 2005 at 06:31 AM.
Miami95Altima is offline  
#12 Old Aug 20th, 2005, 03:28 PM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami95Altima
Did you pull the 3rd fuse down on the left side of the drivers side fuse box that is inside the car? That fuse should turn the lights off.
Any updates on this? My brake lights still won't work right.
Miami95Altima is offline  
#13 Old Sep 10th, 2005, 09:49 AM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6
I have an updated symptom.. Cruise control, when turned on, will not activate, but after 30 seconds the cruise light blinks on & off until you press any of the cruise activation or deactivation buttons, then blinks again after 30 seconds.
#14 Old Sep 10th, 2005, 12:26 PM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6
ok I figured it out, after researching the cruise control symptom. I found there are 2 switches down activated by the brake pedal, side by side, one (the brake one) was severely hidden by the steering column when looked at from underneath. apparently I tried switching out the cruise control switch and not the brake switch. so I taped some more pennies to that side of the brake pedal, and sure enough, the brake lights turned off. I did find, though, my alternator's not working, hence the weekly necessity for charging.

Thanks for all the effort put into this, everyone. Hope those with the same problem find the same solution.
#15 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 11:15 AM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
I just had the same issue pop up on my 240sx yesterday. I replaced the Brake light switch and the lights still wouldn't go off. I manually pushed the switch in and the lights went off! I then saw bits of broken plastic on the floor mat. It turns out the "button" that was on the brake pedal that was supposed to depress the switch had broken off. I went to the parts store and refunded the new switch and got a "rubber bumper assortment" for $8 and matched up the closest one to the "button" and tah-dah the old switch worked like a charm. And I didn't have to tape any pennies. When the "button" broke, it left a hole in the pedal that the switch was falling into.
Reply

  Nissan Forum > Altima/Stanza > U13 1993-1997 Altima

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shorted "ON" brake lights on cold nights Reggiefd Truck & SUV 2 Nov 15th, 2004 04:05 PM
Shorted "ON" brake lights Reggiefd General Discussion 0 Nov 15th, 2004 07:05 AM
81 Datsun 4x4...Tail lights won't turn on sometimes! Aktunka Truck & SUV 3 Oct 14th, 2004 04:47 PM
93 pickup - brake lights out - replaced stop lamp switch and bulbs Austin Nissan Truck & SUV 2 Feb 18th, 2004 09:54 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On