screeching sound when starting engine - Nissan Forum
Truck & SUV Armada, Frontier, Murano, Pathfinder, Quest, Titan, X-Trail, Xterra

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2005, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Sorta-Newbie
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
screeching sound when starting engine

I just bought a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Se. Truck runs great however, I notice a screeching sound when I start the car. The sound last for about 12 seconds then goes away. Originally i thought it was radiator, because at first i would just turn the heater off and the sound would go away. Now im realizing that does not work anymore. The screeching sound only comes on when i start turn the key and the engine starts for about 12 seconds.
Kilahchris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilahchris
I just bought a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Se. Truck runs great however, I notice a screeching sound when I start the car. The sound last for about 12 seconds then goes away. Originally i thought it was radiator, because at first i would just turn the heater off and the sound would go away. Now im realizing that does not work anymore. The screeching sound only comes on when i start turn the key and the engine starts for about 12 seconds.
Could it be your belts squealing (needing tightening or replacement), or is it a different kind of sound?
DanaCat is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Nissan Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: IN
Posts: 760
Sounds like the fan belt. I had the same sound when I just did a timing belt change and replaced all the belts, left the fan belt a little bit loose and it screeched like crazy. Easy to tighten.

1997 Pathfinder XE
Air Lift Air Bags, Warn Hubs
lewisnc100 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2005, 08:49 AM
I Live Here
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: PHX AZ
Posts: 3,135
probably a belt or tensioner pulley
SPEEDO is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2005, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Sorta-Newbie
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisnc100
Sounds like the fan belt. I had the same sound when I just did a timing belt change and replaced all the belts, left the fan belt a little bit loose and it screeched like crazy. Easy to tighten.

did the sound your heard last for like 10 seconds and then went away once you started driving???

Last edited by Kilahchris; Jan 25th, 2005 at 01:19 PM.
Kilahchris is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 220
As most have said "belt adjustment". There is an outside chance that you have a slight leak in your water pump. Or the pump is ready to go all together. Try some water pump lubricant if the belt tightening doesn't do it.
Will is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2005, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Sorta-Newbie
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
As most have said "belt adjustment". There is an outside chance that you have a slight leak in your water pump. Or the pump is ready to go all together. Try some water pump lubricant if the belt tightening doesn't do it.
The belts around the pulleys seem very tight to me(I was not able to budge them).

The problem only happens intermittently. Once in every 5 times i start up my pathfinder??
Kilahchris is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Nissan Addict
 
aaronford's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 838
Sounds like your alternator belt. Turn on your heater blower and headlights before starting car in the morning, rev it a little. If it does it, you have found it.

Aaron Ford
95 2WD Nissan PU E
2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
"The hard part about playing chicken is knowing when to flinch" Scott Glenn in The Hunt for Red October
aaronford is offline  
Reply

  Nissan Forum > Truck & SUV

Quick Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VQ35DE in a S13??? toddk S13 240SX 1989-1994 68 Dec 31st, 2007 10:55 PM
weird sound in engine 300zxowns Z32 Chassis 300ZX 11 Jan 9th, 2005 06:41 PM
engine not starting (just a story, not a problem..anymore) Tavel GA16DE 1.6L Engine 0 Jan 1st, 2005 11:28 PM
Ticking sound from engine nyit240 B11/B12/KN13 82-90 chassis 16 Apr 21st, 2004 10:47 PM
Funny engine sound SkylineGTR B13 91-94 chassis 5 Sep 13th, 2002 01:19 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome