Belt squeals on 2001 Pathfinder SE help - Page 2 - Nissan Forum
Truck & SUV Armada, Frontier, Murano, Pathfinder, Quest, Titan, X-Trail, Xterra

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Post Freak
 
NPath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by partymon
Recently I have started to hear a really nasty belt squeal during start up but it only happens when I start it up in the morning or if it has been sitting for 4 to 5 hours.

The squeal can somtimes be heard for a few seconds or other times for up to a min or so.

Any ideas as to why it would be happening??

It only has about 30k on it right now. The problem is that it never happens when I take it to the dealer to look at it. The warranty runs out in Aug so I hope they can fix it before then.

Thanks

This is a great forum!!
If you or someone can tell you the belts are in decent shape, I'd suggest getting Permatex belt dressing from a auto parts store. I changed mine last spring and they started squealing like a pig after the summer and now they are quiet.

You may also wanna check for any fluid leakages like antifreeze, they'll make your belts squeal.

NPath

95 Pathfinder SE
06 Pathfinder SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 27 Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:32 AM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8
2001 path belts squeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPath
If you or someone can tell you the belts are in decent shape, I'd suggest getting Permatex belt dressing from a auto parts store. I changed mine last spring and they started squealing like a pig after the summer and now they are quiet.

You may also wanna check for any fluid leakages like antifreeze, they'll make your belts squeal.
MY BELTS SQUEAL LOUD AS HELL WHEN ITS COLD AND I LOOKED AT THEM CLOSELY CANT SEEM TO TELL WHY. WHAT TYPE OF THING DO YOU LOOK FOR TO INDICATE THAT THEY NEED REPLACED. AND IF THEY DO APPREOXIMATELY WHATS IT RUN ??

THANKS IN ADVANCE,



EYE
EYECORP1303 is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old Feb 11th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Post Freak
 
NPath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,109
[QUOTE=EYECORP1303]

MY BELTS SQUEAL LOUD AS HELL WHEN ITS COLD AND I LOOKED AT THEM CLOSELY CANT SEEM TO TELL WHY. WHAT TYPE OF THING DO YOU LOOK FOR TO INDICATE THAT THEY NEED REPLACED. AND IF THEY DO APPREOXIMATELY WHATS IT RUN ??
Look for fraying of the belt, feel the surface of the belt (not too smooth) that the pulley's ride on, cracks, tension on the belt, should be bout 1/4" deflection... no less. Belts, with my experience on a 86.5 KC Z24I got about 80,000 KM before it started squeeling. With my 95 Pathfinder, about 130,000 KM. So, with 30K, seems too soon for it to be squeeling in my opinion.

NPath

95 Pathfinder SE
06 Pathfinder SE
post #19 of 27 Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 220
Here's a little redneck tip if the tension on the belts is good and the belts are in good shape, No need for special belt dressing. Just add a drop or two of plain old dish washing soap. It has a mild degresser in it that will remove the glaze. It also helps to keep the belt pliable(keeps from cracking). Hey it helps keep the hands soft why not belt compounds. But again this is only if tension and belt is in descent shape. It gets rid of that pesky squeel right now.

Last edited by Will; Feb 11th, 2005 at 05:44 PM.
post #20 of 27 Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Post Freak
 
NPath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
Here's a little redneck tip if the tension on the belts is good and the belts are in good shape, No need for special belt dressing. Just add a drop or two of plain old dish washing soap. It has a mild degresser in it that will remove the glaze. It also helps to keep the belt pliable(keeps from cracking). Hey it helps keep the hands soft why not belt compounds. But again this is only if tension and belt is in descent shape. It gets rid of that pesky squeel right now.
Really!? I'll try that next time. I've tried candle wax and using sandpaper to scuff up the belt surfaces. The wax didn't work for me, but scuffing it helped for about a month.

NPath

95 Pathfinder SE
06 Pathfinder SE
post #21 of 27 Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Post Freak
 
NPath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,109
[QUOTE=Will]Here's a little redneck tip if the tension on the belts is good and the belts are in good shape, No need for special belt dressing. Just add a drop or two of plain old dish washing soap.
Forgot to ask, how many drops away from another? I can't see how a drop or two would quiet the belt since it has some length to it.

NPath

95 Pathfinder SE
06 Pathfinder SE
post #22 of 27 Old Feb 12th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 220
One or two drops in one or two areas. That stuff(dish soap) spreads. And under heat spreads even more. And it sticks too. By the way wax melts and leaves a waxy residue under heat of course. The degreaser in the soap is the difference. It takes away the glazeing(the same thing the wax leaves).
post #23 of 27 Old Feb 13th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fort Lee, NJ
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by partymon
Recently I have started to hear a really nasty belt squeal during start up but it only happens when I start it up in the morning or if it has been sitting for 4 to 5 hours.

The squeal can somtimes be heard for a few seconds or other times for up to a min or so.

Any ideas as to why it would be happening??

It only has about 30k on it right now. The problem is that it never happens when I take it to the dealer to look at it. The warranty runs out in Aug so I hope they can fix it before then.

Thanks

This is a great forum!!
Belts are wear and tear items, so they wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway. Belts on the VQ35DE's seem to go dead (and start sqeaking) anywhere between 40k to 60k (my 2001 Pathfinder LE had belt replaced at 38k because they were going bad). I suggest you get the belts replaced. There are two belts I remember. I got the belts from courtesyparts.com and replaced them myself, but since you have to remove the radiator fan shroud to get to the belts, I think perhaps you should get it done by dealer (unless you are okay with working on your car). I thenk the belts cost around $8-$12 ea. Perhaps an hour of labor (or 1/2 hour if you dealership can charge you 1/2 hour labor)? Took me about 1/2 hour.

If your belts are squealing, then it sounds like the belts have either stretched, or the idler pully retaining bolt has come loose. The latter is usally true right after your get new belt replacement. Since your belts are still original, perhaps the cords in your current belt have snapped, stretching the belts. You can inspect them yourself.

Turn off your engine (remove key from ignition so some turkey can't turn on the engine while you are in there). In the front of the engine, you will see two rubber belts going around pullies. They are rubber, so they should look like rubber (dull, rubbery). Use index and thumb to flip a portion of the belt to see the underside. Check for cracks or glazing (shininess). If you see any, your belts are gone.
post #24 of 27 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Sorta-Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13
I have discovered that when you replace your belts from an after-market shop,i.e. Firestone,Sears,repair station,etc...they don't use the original (nissan made) belts and somehow it makes a difference.I found this out the hard and expensive$ way.I had to get the replacements replaced by Nissan belts from the dealer...Oh well,at least that annoying squealing like a pig went away.
Good Luck!!!!!!
post #25 of 27 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:28 AM
Nissan Addict
 
aaronford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic_07
I have discovered that when you replace your belts from an after-market shop,i.e. Firestone,Sears,repair station,etc...they don't use the original (nissan made) belts and somehow it makes a difference.I found this out the hard and expensive$ way.I had to get the replacements replaced by Nissan belts from the dealer...Oh well,at least that annoying squealing like a pig went away.
Good Luck!!!!!!

I have found the exact same thing. Not sure why or how, but Nissan belts are the only ones that do not squeal. BTW, it was cheaper than the others as well.

Let's go Mountaineers,

Aaron

Aaron Ford
95 2WD Nissan PU E
2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
"The hard part about playing chicken is knowing when to flinch" Scott Glenn in The Hunt for Red October
post #26 of 27 Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 10:19 AM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4
Belts

Tighten the belts.
post #27 of 27 Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 09:37 PM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 36
If the belts are factory then they probably just need to be tightened. You could just buy new factory belts and that should get rid of the squealing. just make sure none of the pulleys are loose. 30k is a normal service intv. on that model.
Reply

  Nissan Forum > Truck & SUV

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tires & Wheels for 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE Low4me Truck & SUV 5 Aug 3rd, 2011 05:43 PM
How do your 2001 Pathfinder keyless locks work? uscboy Truck & SUV 4 Mar 10th, 2004 08:49 PM
2001 Pathfinder Charlie-NY Truck & SUV 1 Feb 14th, 2004 03:39 PM
97 pathfinder timing belt replacement difficulty? svneo Truck & SUV 1 Apr 25th, 2003 07:42 PM
Novice looking for 2001 LE Pathfinder modification help! exel Truck & SUV 3 Sep 2nd, 2002 09:30 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On