CA18DET problems need help ASAP - Nissan Forum
S13 240SX 1989-1994 Including Silvia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old Nov 16th, 2004, 01:21 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Send a message via AIM to silfortytypex
Unhappy CA18DET dellima, need advice...

Hello, I recently purchased an 89 200sx which has the CA18DET motor and I am having a problem with my car, but I am unsure as to what it is, and I hope to find some suggestions. Here are the symptoms that I am getting...

The car usually wont start, but it'll crank all day, and when it does start it sputters ALOT and wont hold an idle unless I ligtly tap/hold on the gas pedal. And when I did maraciously get it started those very few times, it died after a few minutes or so and seemed to use ALOT of gas, and has almost feels very sluggish, like its either not getting enough air or not getting enough gas. I have checked the compression on the engine and that is fine, I have also checked the ignition coil packs and spark plugs, those are fine. I have cleaned out the little sensor int he MAF so I am sure that that is fine. The oil is rather new and normal consistancy. I am wondering if the fuel pump could be the symptom? Could it be a bad sensor which is cuasing these types of problems? Just note that it wont start at all amymore... I would not trust any mechanic here since I don't trust many German mechanics, I'd rather do the work myself. What could the car's problem be?

Last edited by silfortytypex; Nov 19th, 2004 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old Nov 17th, 2004, 02:42 AM
RB Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by silfortytypex
Hello, I recently purchased an 89 200sx which has the CA18DET motor and I am having a problem with my car, but I am unsure as to what it is, and I hope to find some suggestions. Here are the symptoms that I am getting...

The car usually wont start, but it'll crank all day, and when it does start it sputters ALOT and wont hold an idle unless I ligtly tap/hold on the gas pedal. And when I did maraciously get it started those very few times, it died after a few minutes or so and seemed to use ALOT of gas, and has almost feels very sluggish, like its either not getting enough air or not getting enough gas. I have checked the compression on the engine and that is fine, I have also checked the ignition coil packs and spark plugs, those are fine. I have cleaned out the little sensor int he MAF so I am sure that that is fine. The oil is rather new and normal consistancy. I am wondering if the fuel pump could be the symptom? Could it be a bad sensor which is cuasing these types of problems? Just note that it wont start at all amymore... I would not trust any mechanic here since I don't trust many German mechanics, I'd rather do the work myself. What could the car's problem be?
AFM (MAF) or a major air leak between the AFM and the turbos inlet.....Has to be.....

Holden VL Commodore Calais......a domestic Aussie car thats RB Nissan powered (From the factory) and hated by Australian domestic people and Japanese import people alike, due to its mixed heritage.....*sigh* I can't win can I?
#3 Old Nov 19th, 2004, 12:14 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Send a message via AIM to silfortytypex
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizmodore
AFM (MAF) or a major air leak between the AFM and the turbos inlet.....Has to be.....
Okay thanks, I just ordered a Z32 MAF, when I get it and wire it up I really hope this fixes the problem.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
#4 Old Nov 19th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Nissan Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to dj42000_2000
I had a problem with bad hesitation and it was due to a bad fuel pump. check your pressure and check your engine vacuum.
#5 Old Nov 24th, 2004, 04:50 AM
NissanForums Newbie

hey man, The easiest thing to do is to pull the ecu and do a self diagnostic check, mode 3. That will let you know if there are any sensors out, instead of just trying to guess. Plus, you do know that in order to run the z32 mafs, you will need a piggy back computer (such as a s-afc) or a stand-alone system, otherwise your car won't work at all. Anyway, if you have any other questions feel free to email me at Tweaktac@aol.com I myself have a ca18det in my 240sx, so i may be some help...good luck man
#6 Old Mar 12th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Sorta-Newbie

the ca18det manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by silfortytypex

Hi, I went into a ca18det project last year and OPIUM (from this forum) gave me the manual, it helped me like he could NEVER imagine.

It teaches you how to perform every ECU mode and how to manually check every part of the engine so you know if they´re really in good working order.

For easier download of the manual (30mb +/-), search my posts, there´s one named "ca18det swap", it´s in there!

Goog luck!

:cool: If speed kills, I'm gonna die soon. :cool:

Nissan Forum > 240SX/Silvia/S12 200SX > S13 240SX 1989-1994

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.