post #1 of 25 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Nissan Fanatic

KYB-AGX Strut and RS-R Install

Well All the Parts are finally Here.
KYB Dust Boots PArt Number SB103 X2 17.88 Each
KYB Strut Mount Kit(front) Part # SM5101 59.98 Each
KYB Strut Mount KIt (Rear) Part #SM5154 9.98 Each
Above from PartsAmerica.com

KYB-AGX Shocks and Struts $349. With Shipping From Performance_parts_store on Ebay My only Ebay Purchase
Right Front 733006
Left Front 733007
Right Rear 741017
Left Rear 741017
RS-R Race Springs From www.sportcompactonly.com
1989-1994 Nissan 240SX (drop: front 1.4", rear 1.2")(279lbFront 251lbRear)
Part#: 35-N010 $180.63

Just a little Quick measurement before removal and Install...Or as My wife said "couldnt find your tape measure?"

Tools Needed for this Install
1. Wheel Chalks
2. Jack(Floor Jack Prefered) and Jack stands
3. 21mm 14mm Sockets or Wrenches...and 17mm you will need two of these either sockets or Wrenches. A complete set 1/2inch will help greatly
4. Spring Compressors(DO NOT DO THIS WITH OUT YOU COULD GET HURT)
5. Sea Foam/WD-40 or some other penetrating oil.

Optional Tools
1. Air Compressor
2. Impact Gun (If I haddent had this I would not have been able to get these bolts out)
3. Impact Sockets

PREPING THE CAR FOR LIFTING THE FRONT

1. Chalk the Rear Wheels. I use 2 chalks per wheel.One in the front and the rear of the tire .Since my Drive way slopes a bit. this way the car doesnt roll back or forward when brought back down. Also When I am doing the front I put the Emergency Brake on.

Yes those are Stock Nissan Wheel chalks....found them in bubble wrap in my trunk

2. Use a Floor Jack and lift the car from the frame and place a jack stand under the frame Lowering the car slowly onto the Jack Stand. And remove the wheel. You can see that the dust boot is toast.

Here you can see the Lower bolts that have been covered with the penetrating liquid. And Ready to be removed. Use a 17mm Socket(This is where the impact wrench comes in handy)

Trippen

"I reject your reality and substitute one of my own" Adam-Myth Busters

" I dont give Frequent Flyer miles for Guilt Trips"

89 240SX SE FB -KYB AGX w/RS-R race Springs. [
95 240sx se KA-T Borded .20 over JWT ECU, Z32 MAF, Arias Pistons, Eagle Rods, 50 trim T3/T4 turbo, 50lb MSD, J30 LSD, Custom Drive shaft,D21 flywheel,PLX-R500 and TurboXS Knock lite keeping tabs on everything

fastback-hatch-rattle-fix-how-too.html

Last edited by Trippen; Mar 25th, 2006 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Nissan Fanatic

*GOT Logged Off due to one of my dogs or Kids

After removing one of the 2 bolts on the lower part of the strut. Unclip the Brake line from the strut or when you remove the 2nd bolt it will pull on the line could cause a break.

In the upper right hand corner of this pic you can see the brake line clip and also the grove on the strut that it goes in.
Now Unbolt the top of the Strut.(Do Not Remove the center nut Until you have a spring compressor on the spring.)

Remove the Strut

Use the spring compressors to compress the spring before removing the shaft nut.
Remove the center nut when the Strut Mount Spins.
Make sure you dont lose this tab it allows you to tighten the strut nut.

Working on Storing the rest of the Pictures. Will post the rest soon

Trippen

95 240sx se KA-T Borded .20 over JWT ECU, Z32 MAF, Arias Pistons, Eagle Rods, 50 trim T3/T4 turbo, 50lb MSD, J30 LSD, Custom Drive shaft,D21 flywheel,PLX-R500 and TurboXS Knock lite keeping tabs on everything

Last edited by Trippen; Mar 25th, 2006 at 10:26 AM.
post #3 of 25 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Nissan Fanatic

Now uncompressing the spring Take it slowly and do each side a little at a time.

Once one of the spring compressors is loose it becomes a little harder. Now remove the last compressor. 2 people is better but you can do it with one. PLace your foot on the top of the spring and push down while removing it.

Now that the spring and strut and spring perch(top Part of the Strut assembly under the Strut Mount) are all separated. I took the perch and cleaned it. This part will be reused and you dont want a dirty part with all the clean ones going in. SO Now onto reassembly....Starting this morning Will post pictures tomorrow morning.

Trippen

post #4 of 25 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Nissan Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 2Fass240us
Good write-up. I lost my spring compressors, so I used a cutoff wheel and cut my springs in half to remove the top mounts. A little dangerous maybe; btu if done properly, no less so than AutoZone spring compressors IMO.

-Andy

Check out my project progress at my 240 index page
post #5 of 25 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Nissan Fanatic

Thanks I have more see below.....The "car Place" Spring Compressors are good as long as you know what your looking for and can judge.

Looking at the actual difference between the old springs and new springs.

Time to install the new Springs Struts and Dust boots

With the front struts I had to press the springs down with my body(Thanks to my wife for taking this picture)to get the spring compressor on. As it was with removal just compress the spring and tighten the nut. And Remove the Spring Compressors. Here is the strut installed. I put the setting on #2 to start with.
[

Trippen

Last edited by Trippen; Mar 26th, 2006 at 08:36 PM.
post #6 of 25 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Nissan Fanatic

Now the rear....
THe Removal of the rear is much like the front. Just less bolts. The bottom 17mm bolt on the shocks needs to be hit with some penetrating liquid. Once again an impact wrench is good to have for this.
Here is the shock out of the car.
Looking at the bottom loop of the shock you see how dry the rubber is around it. These Shocks were so shot that the liquid was dripping from them as I Took off the center nut.

The wheel will hang loose and be ok till you get the new shock in place. Here you can look over your drive shaft and dust boots on the shafts.
And as with the front Struts you will need to compress these springs to get the nuts off of the perch.

INSTALLING THE REAR
Looking over the difference between the Old Springs and the new ones.

Installing the rear is just like the front. Place the new boot onto the shock and secure. Then Compress the spring to get the top attached. Remove the spring compressor. Put the top part of the assembly up into the car. If you want to be able to adjust the shock with out removing the wheels then put the adjustment knob towards the inside.

Use the jack to help compress the spring assembly and get it over the bottom bolt. see above picture. I started with the setting of 6 0f 8.

And what it looks like all together

Trippen

post #7 of 25 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Nissan Fanatic

UPDATE On Settup

Well I have had my suspension setup for 2 days now. Currently I have the front at 2 of 4 set points. And the rear 6 of 8. It is a very good setup if it isnt raining. I currently have Michelin performance all Weather 195 60 R15. My back end is a little to stiff for this. Allot of Slipping even with my LSD . Anyone else have these KYB-AGX settings or could suggest others?

Trippen

post #8 of 25 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:11 PM
Nissan Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to xs04298 Send a message via MSN to xs04298
Great writeup, i'd like to get shocks like that, sans the lowering springs, that'll come in usefull someday

1989 240SX H/B

Have a burgandy/red s13? about to change out hoods? i could use it!
post #9 of 25 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 01:16 AM
Nissan Enthusiast

great post!

i just have tein springs on oem struts. it suprisingly rides ok. i don't race competitively so im good. it was well worth the $150 shipped.

did you consider the basic tein kit for around $700?
post #10 of 25 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Nissan Fanatic

Thanks I enjoyed writing it. And when I do my KA-T install Ill be doing the same thing. As for the Tein Springs not as stiff as I wanted with out having them compressed then you loose the travel of your Struts/Shocks. I love this setup. I ran a twisting course (parking Lot) against a 05 350 stock. My times was 10 seconds better same course a week before I was 25seconds slower. So I know it made a difference. (Might have been my back shocks were blown)I am still at setting of 2 of 4 in the front and 6 of 8 in the back.

Trippen

Last edited by Trippen; Apr 3rd, 2006 at 11:10 AM.
post #11 of 25 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Nissan Fanatic

UPDATE: After two months and 40degrees in temp changes since i installed these. The rear Shocks are really almost too much. I loose traction at a moments notice. Temp here in Austin for the past week is 100. So for drift practicing it works great at a setting of 6 of 8 very stiff...But for normal driving a setting of 4 is just perfect. No tail sliding on the off ramps on the freeway...Not fun when not trying with no coffee cup holders....I will try an 8 later this weekend for a little drift action. ......Some people may have not noticed this if they drive there car all the time...as for me i just got back from a 30 day trip(no it wasnt to county lock up for street racing) And the difference in the cars attitude was very different. Over all I still love the setup and still holds the road really well even in a full drift....

Trippen

post #12 of 25 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:52 AM
KA24DET

Send a message via AIM to bridrive55
Excellent post brother. Do you have problems with wheel hop during a launch? What's the best setting for a hard launch?

StreetTech S13
KA24DET, .70A/R T04E, FMIC, VLSD, SAFC-II, 550cc's, Q45 MAF.
post #13 of 25 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Nissan Fanatic

Thanks.....As for the questions.....So far no wheel hop to speak of but then again its an auto and i havent done a full rev and drop into drive. .. When i power brake with my LSD a little hop on or two at the start but not bad I can go into a full tire burn and stays solid no hop. I am going to try to get some vid up soon. of an auto vlsd tire burn.

Even when I jump on it and do spin the rear I havent had any hop. So as for setting in the rear start in the middle 4 or 5 of the 8 and work from there...

Trippen

post #14 of 25 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Locked and Loaded

Send a message via AIM to Dustin Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridrive55
Excellent post brother. Do you have problems with wheel hop during a launch? What's the best setting for a hard launch?
sorry to bump an old thread, but brian, you want to go FULL soft in the rear for a drag launch. leave the fronts alone, unless you're worried that the rear will lift too much during shifting, then stiffen them up.

95 Volkswagen Golf Sport - Low, slow, and loud purchased 4/5/08
93 Nissan Sentra SE 2 door - sold 4/5/08
88 Honda Civic DX Hatchback - sold 9/26/07
85 BMW 325e Coupe w/ 88 I motor swap - sold 2/24/07
93 Sentra XE 4 door - wrecked 7/29/06 totalled.
90 240SX Fastback - sold 7/15/05
post #15 of 25 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Nissan Enthusiast

240sx meet in MN, Brooklyn center, pepboys.

10/08/2006 5:00pm

Nissan Forum > 240SX/Silvia/S12 200SX > S13 240SX 1989-1994

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.