91 Pathfinder Timing Advance - Nissan Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gainesvlle, TX
Posts: 84
91 Pathfinder Timing Advance

I think my timing may be either too advanced or to retarded. I am idling at 400 rpms, and it dies when it is cold. The idle adjustment screw does absolutely nothing for it, so I am sure it is the timing that is off.

On the VG30E 91 pathfinder, what is the best way to tell how the timing is set. The crank pully alignment marks ar all visible, but I can't find any marks on the distributor housing that the Haynes manual refers to. All I have been able to do is guess where it should be based on the wires.

Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old Jun 10th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Nissan Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyS
I think my timing may be either too advanced or to retarded. I am idling at 400 rpms, and it dies when it is cold. The idle adjustment screw does absolutely nothing for it, so I am sure it is the timing that is off.

On the VG30E 91 pathfinder, what is the best way to tell how the timing is set. The crank pully alignment marks ar all visible, but I can't find any marks on the distributor housing that the Haynes manual refers to. All I have been able to do is guess where it should be based on the wires.

Any help?
When did this problem start? After you changed a part? Or all of a sudden?
I will strongly suggest that you get on-site help from someone who knows fuel injection / ECU systems. Your problem is more likely a vacuum leak, TPS, MAF, EGR, etc.. You will probably need to return the adjustments you made to their original positions.
#3 Old Jun 10th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gainesvlle, TX
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal
When did this problem start? After you changed a part? Or all of a sudden?
I will strongly suggest that you get on-site help from someone who knows fuel injection / ECU systems. Your problem is more likely a vacuum leak, TPS, MAF, EGR, etc.. You will probably need to return the adjustments you made to their original positions.
This came after changing the heads out and putting in performance cams.

I cannot find a vacuum leak, and the Haynes manual (although very good for breakdown/buildup) is very lacking in detail about the vacuum system. Is there a chart or diagram that shows all the vacuum connections for teh VG30E?
#4 Old Jun 10th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Nissan Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyS
This came after changing the heads out and putting in performance cams.

I cannot find a vacuum leak, and the Haynes manual (although very good for breakdown/buildup) is very lacking in detail about the vacuum system. Is there a chart or diagram that shows all the vacuum connections for teh VG30E?
Fotunately the EFI does not have as many vacuum hoses as carbureted engines. Unfortunately you are correct in you observation of the lack of details for the EFI system in the Haynes manual (pictures and diagrams in the emissions section is the best I have seen).
Did you remove and replace everything with #1 @TDC (compression)? Did your new cams have directions for timing changes? Are stock injectors OK with these cams?
#5 Old Jun 10th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gainesvlle, TX
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal
Fotunately the EFI does not have as many vacuum hoses as carbureted engines. Unfortunately you are correct in you observation of the lack of details for the EFI system in the Haynes manual (pictures and diagrams in the emissions section is the best I have seen).
Did you remove and replace everything with #1 @TDC (compression)? Did your new cams have directions for timing changes? Are stock injectors OK with these cams?
These are the NISMO cams, set 1, and using the stock injectors is okay. I kept all cam timing correct. The instructions did say to advance the ignition timing 5 deg, but that is all the detail it gives on that. I think I may have to spring for the FSM...
Reply

  Nissan Forum > Truck & SUV > Pathfinder

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
unleaded gas with advance timing rev/min B14 95-99 chassis 4 Oct 22nd, 2004 03:27 AM
Question about Knocking and Timing advance 200sxOuTKasT GA16DE 1.6L Engine 7 Dec 3rd, 2003 06:27 PM
How much for a timing belt change for a 97 pathfinder? svneo Truck & SUV 0 Jul 28th, 2003 11:11 AM
timing advance rageman QR25 2.5L Engine 18 May 9th, 2003 04:19 PM
advance timing SR2091SER Southwest 1 Jan 30th, 2003 10:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On