Struts & Wheel Bearing - Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:45 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Struts & Wheel Bearing

Question...
Does anyone out there have a problem with their 2002 Altima's struts or wheel bearings? My husband and I have been hearing some really loud noises from our car after going over 40 mph so we took our car into the dealer and asked them to check and advise us. We were told that there was nothing wrong with our car and that it must be our tires. They said our struts need to be replaced as well. Then when we took it in to replace the struts (no warranty-we paid), we insisted that they check the noise again. We were told that they have no idea what we were talking about. Finally, the advisor called and said that our wheel bearings need replacement. We've never had a problem like that and why so soon. We feel like Nissan should pay for the replacements. Comments anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:53 PM
Superdooper Modderpooper!

Send a message via AIM to Asleep Send a message via Yahoo to Asleep
wow... that does sound pretty quick. how many miles do you have already?
#3 Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:16 AM
Friends of ours...

Bumper to bumper is 36k miles, drivetrain is 60k miles.

I'd call nissan directly, and find a new dealer.
#4 Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:32 AM
NissanForums Newbie

They said my bumper to bumper is over...current mileage is 44K, but they said it's not power train. Problem is that I don't believe struts and wheel bearings go bad that quickly. I haven't even changed my brakes once yet.
#5 Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:23 AM
NissanForums Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staci
They said my bumper to bumper is over...current mileage is 44K, but they said it's not power train. Problem is that I don't believe struts and wheel bearings go bad that quickly. I haven't even changed my brakes once yet.
Your right...if it is the bearings they should not have worn out so quickly.
All the cars I've ever owned never needed bearing changes till 100k or more...3 brake pad changes at least...call a non dealer mechanic and ask for some advise. LTD
#6 Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:21 PM
NissanForums Newbie

struts

Quote:
Question...
Does anyone out there have a problem with their 2002 Altima's struts or wheel bearings? My husband and I have been hearing some really loud noises from our car after going over 40 mph so we took our car into the dealer and asked them to check and advise us. We were told that there was nothing wrong with our car and that it must be our tires. They said our struts need to be replaced as well. Then when we took it in to replace the struts (no warranty-we paid), we insisted that they check the noise again. We were told that they have no idea what we were talking about. Finally, the advisor called and said that our wheel bearings need replacement. We've never had a problem like that and why so soon. We feel like Nissan should pay for the replacements. Comments anyone?
Staci, I have a 2002 Altima. I've had my struts replaced on a TSB, as the originals were the incorrect part. The rear end was clunking over bumps and that's fixed. I think I also have a bearing problem cause of the noise I get in the rear wheel. Can you describe the noise you get from the bearing?

brett
#7 Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:37 PM
Nissan Addict

Send a message via AIM to ALTYHOLIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett
Staci, I have a 2002 Altima. I've had my struts replaced on a TSB
That TSB # is NTB02-062 and you can find it on page 4 here:
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Altima/2002/1.htm

Last edited by ALTYHOLIC; Apr 23rd, 2004 at 04:46 PM.
#8 Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:48 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Quote:
Staci, I have a 2002 Altima. I've had my struts replaced on a TSB, as the originals were the incorrect part. The rear end was clunking over bumps and that's fixed. I think I also have a bearing problem cause of the noise I get in the rear wheel. Can you describe the noise you get from the bearing?

brett
Brett,
They did fix it and the noise is gone. The noise actually sounds like the car was not shifting gears automaticaly. It seemed like the car's engine was straining and the noise starts after 40 mph and gets louder as you speed up. Did your warranty cover the incorrect part?
#9 Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:39 PM
Friends of ours...

Staci? Brett? It sounds like a soap opera cast...

Glad the dealer got it right this time. If you don't mind, what was the cost on this?
#10 Old Apr 24th, 2004, 02:24 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben
Staci? Brett? It sounds like a soap opera cast...

Glad the dealer got it right this time. If you don't mind, what was the cost on this?
The cost of the struts and wheel bearing (driver front side...I think) was $525.00. I'm going to try and get Nissan to pay for it.
#11 Old Apr 24th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Friends of ours...

Ouch. Keep us informed on the outcome. That truly sucks.
#12 Old Apr 26th, 2004, 07:52 AM
NissanForums Newbie

strut replacement

Quote:
Brett,
They did fix it and the noise is gone. The noise actually sounds like the car was not shifting gears automaticaly. It seemed like the car's engine was straining and the noise starts after 40 mph and gets louder as you speed up. Did your warranty cover the incorrect part?
The struts I had replaced were on the rear. I think I had 25,000 km (15,000 miles) on the car at the time. There was no charge.
#13 Old Apr 26th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Nissan Enthusiast

Quote:
The struts I had replaced were on the rear. I think I had 25,000 km (15,000 miles) on the car at the time. There was no charge.
My front struts lasted 30k on a sportline lowered vehicle.

So I imagine it would have lasted around 50k or so on a non lowered vehicle. You got about the norm for a hard driven car. (remember the front end of a FWD car with all this torque steer has immense suspension stresses)

BetterLifeThruChemistry
My car is here
#14 Old Apr 27th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Nissan Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to altima25s
Quote:

Well. I got a 2002 altima and I had since day 1. 40,000 miles and about a month ago i had to replace front brakes and rotars...mechanic gave some shitty excuse bout the rotars being paper thin with newer cars with the theory in mind when u need to replace pads the roters get done too.....SOOOOOOOOO I agree with you. I got a back shock/strut problem and nissan INSISTS its my tires and tried to sell me 4 new tires. Said suspension ok. Even tho i hear squeaks and when i hit bumps it squeaks. So yeah, I have same trouble...now question is...are YOUR breaks next to go ???
ps. warrenty over as well.......flucking sucks

YES I DRIVE A 5 SPEED AND IM FEMALE :thumbup:
#15 Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:51 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Quote:
Question...
I have a 2002 Altima 3.5SE. I had a problem with a wheel bearing and struts. For about a week, last summer, I heard a thump coming from the front. When I went to change the front brake pads, the left front wheel was flopping really bad. That bearing was replaced under the extended warranty, when the vehicle had 44,000 miles.

All four struts were changed as well. Fronts at 44,000 and rears at 44,700 miles. I was driving 30,000 miles a year, and Michigan roads are minefields. 40,000 in my driving environment is expected for reasonable life of the struts. All four struts were replaced under my extended warranty.

Wheel bearings should never have to be replaced. The only explainable reason why mine went out was that I was going through the drive-thru car wash every week during the winter months...but this should not impact the bearing performance. Hub bearings are over-engineered...it is most likely a manufacturing flaw with our vehicles.

Struts will go bad (start leaking) depending on driving conditions. Also, Nissan uses Tokico shocks...this contributes to the short life. KYB are the best. This judgement is based on experience from my former employer, working in suspension design.

Nissan Forum > Altima/Stanza > L31 2002 - 2006
Related Reading: Struts & Wheel Bearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.