2002 Altima transmission fluid change - Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 12:32 PM
Sorta-Newbie

2002 Altima transmission fluid change

I went to a meinke 2 weeks ago and they performed an oil change on my altima. After the oil change I was told I needed transmission fluid change also. I called up another mechanic to find out pricing in a transmission fluid change an was told to not do one unless it was done regularly on my car since it has 105,000 miles. Now I don't know if it was done regularly since I put ached the Altima used 3 months ago. What should I do? this is my first car thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:58 PM
NF Mod

I would do a drain and fill; make sure the proper type ATF is used.
#3 Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Sup Mod keeping the peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicks05 View Post
I called up another mechanic to find out pricing in a transmission fluid change an was told to not do one unless it was done regularly on my car since it has 105,000 miles.
Just like SMJ suggested, it's OK to do a drain and fill only. However DON'T do a transmission flush; this may be what the mechanic was referring to. Flushing if done improperly could contaminate the transmission with debris from the transmission cooler. The proper ATF to use for your car is NISSAN Matic 'D' or DEXRON III/MERCON can be used.

KA-T for life, yo!
#4 Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 09:56 AM
NF Mod

Actually, Dexron III/Mercon is not recommended for use in transmission servicing in Type "D" applications. Type "D" is the original Dexron formula and is still made specifically for Nissan. Dexron III has a thicker viscosity than Dexron/Dexron II and has been found to cause sticking inside the transmission valve body; Nissan released a TSB on the issue. Dexron III is safe to "top-off" the fluid level, but for a trans service, it's best to stick with genuine Nissan Type "D" ATF or an aftermarket ATF that is "recommended" for use in Dexron II applications. Those would include Valvoline Maxlife ATF, Castrol Multi-import ATF and Amsoil's ATF. Usual drain and fill is about 4-1/2 quarts (US).
#5 Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:36 AM
Sorta-Newbie

Yes meinke wanted to do a transmission fluid since the fluid was getting dirty. Should I just take it to nissan for my next oil change and see if they recommend a drain and fill? I'm just new to cars and don't know where to begin when visually looking at it. Thanks
#6 Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 12:15 PM
Sup Mod keeping the peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
Actually, Dexron III/Mercon is not recommended for use in transmission servicing in Type "D" applications. Type "D" is the original Dexron formula and is still made specifically for Nissan. Dexron III has a thicker viscosity than Dexron/Dexron II and has been found to cause sticking inside the transmission valve body; Nissan released a TSB on the issue. Dexron III is safe to "top-off" the fluid level, but for a trans service, it's best to stick with genuine Nissan Type "D" ATF or an aftermarket ATF that is "recommended" for use in Dexron II applications. Those would include Valvoline Maxlife ATF, Castrol Multi-import ATF and Amsoil's ATF. Usual drain and fill is about 4-1/2 quarts (US).
I'm gland you pointed that out; didn't realize about the possible sticking. The reason for me posting the Dexron III/Mercon is that it was spelled out in the FSM; didn't know about the Nissan TSB.

KA-T for life, yo!
#7 Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 12:43 PM
Sorta-Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicks05 View Post
Yes meinke wanted to do a transmission fluid since the fluid was getting dirty. Should I just take it to nissan for my next oil change and see if they recommend a drain and fill? I'm just new to cars and don't know where to begin when visually looking at it. Thanks
Whoops meant transmission flush

Nissan Forum > Altima/Stanza > L31 2002 - 2006
Related Reading: 2002 Altima transmission fluid change

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.