Broken Spark Plug & Tube Seals - Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 04:48 AM
NissanForums Newbie

Broken Spark Plug & Tube Seals

Working on a 2.5 with a broken spark plug, broke off just under the hex part of the plug. Removing valve cover & spark plug tube, I knock out some of the ceramic & was able to use a large EZ-Out 1/2 drive, the plug broke further down flush with the spark plug threads. Continued breaking ceramic till was able to use EZ-Out once again. Thread section would not move, only expand larger in the cyl head. With a harden punch I slowly grown up the ceramic out to the point it could be blown out with cyl compression. Then took a 1/2" drill bit, with the bit flutes packed with grease to help with the steel shavings. I drilled thru the thread part of the spark plug being careful not to hit the piston. After the 1/2" bit i used a 9/16 bit. then cleaned the top of the piston with a magnet.
Using the thread repair kit I tap out the head stopping just 1/16 before entering into the compression chamber so the thread insert would not fall in to the piston compression chamber during engine operation. It took 1 long insert & had to grind a short one the get a good fit.
Now the spark plug tube seals. the valve cover is plastic & has a oil baffle over the seals edges. Cant remove them with out breaking away at the baffle. Is there any way to remove the baffle to get to the seals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 06:44 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Spark plug tube seals 2.5L 2002

Called the auto parts stores they all claimed they could get the seals, but weren't able to get a part # to order them & they also didn't come with the valve cover gasket. Called the Nissan dealer they said the seal were not a replacement item, but came new with a new valve cover that was $80+.
I removed the old seals & I found a seal that would work a National# 471270
@ $5 per seal X 4.
#3 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 07:46 PM
NF Mod

They used to be replaceable...and common sense would tell you that they should be, but I guess someone at Nissan had a "better idea?" Maybe he used to work for Ford?!

Nissan Forum > Altima/Stanza > L31 2002 - 2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.