Changing HID Xenon headlight to halogen lamp - Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 11:41 AM
NissanForums Newbie

Changing HID Xenon headlight to halogen lamp

A kind lady told me one of my low beam headlights is out. The high beam still works. I checked the prices of HID bulbs for Nissan Altima 2.5S and they are really costly > $60 , while for halogen I can get for around $7.

I was wondering if I could remove the HID bulb on the other side (that still works) and change both to halogen bulbs. Has anyone done this? If I do that I need to spend only $7 + $7 = $14 which is a lot cheaper than replacing the blown out HID bulb on one side with a new one. Please help with your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 02:34 PM
Post Freak

Thumbs down

First off, take the bulb from the working side and put it in the one that is blown just to make sure that it is indeed the bulb!! If it is the bulb, bite the bullet and pay the extra money for it. If you car is equipped with stock HIDs then it would be advisable to keep it like that plus I personally don't know or have heard of anyone trying to do this!!!
#3 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 03:13 PM
NissanForums Newbie

hey faja, thanks so much for the reply... i turned on the headlight today to make sure it is a xenon bulb... the low beam light has a silver bracket (a sort of cover) on it but the light is kind of yellowish when on. Is this really a xenon light? I have looked at the manual and did a lot of research on the internet. I really cannot get the information on what light a 2003 nissan altima 2.5S manual model has. any thoughts?
#4 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 08:02 PM
Post Freak

Thumbs up

Most likely it's a D2R type bulb - just call dealer and confirm. You can get these on Ebay for relatively cheap. See if you can swap the right and left bulbs with one another to confirm if it's either the bulb or the ballast that is bad. That yellow light you're seeing is probably what they call "city light" and is a different bulb than the Xenon or the bulb has indeed gone bad.
#5 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 08:19 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Thumbs up

Thank you!
#6 Old Feb 26th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Nissan Enthusiast

Coupe or sedan? AFAIK only the coupe comes with stock HID.
#7 Old Feb 26th, 2010, 08:10 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Thank you for replying..

I changed it. It was an ordinary H1 55W bulb!
My car is a sedan.
#8 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Nissan Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm View Post
Coupe or sedan? AFAIK only the coupe comes with stock HID.

Well, in 2003, the Altima coupe was very rare and pretty much impossible to get a hold of.........

PLUG YOUR HOLES
I have Bumper plugs 4 Sale
Dead Pedals for Altima 4 Sale
91 MR2 31k mi for sale
76 Chevy Stepside for sale
#9 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Sorta-Newbie

Think about it too, If you just bit the bullet and paid the $70 for the stock HID bulb it's going to last a lot longer than a standard halogen bulb because there is no filliment to break... It's like either buying a pair of Nike's for $100 and lasting a year, or buying a pair of crap shoes for $10 and them only lasting for a month...
#10 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Post Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelride@yahoo.com View Post
Think about it too, If you just bit the bullet and paid the $70 for the stock HID bulb it's going to last a lot longer than a standard halogen bulb because there is no filliment to break... It's like either buying a pair of Nike's for $100 and lasting a year, or buying a pair of crap shoes for $10 and them only lasting for a month...
I think that might be a moot point now tho', from what I understand from his reply is that his headlight is for halogens. I think he initiallly thought it was HID.
#11 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Sorta-Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faja View Post
I think that might be a moot point now tho', from what I understand from his reply is that his headlight is for halogens. I think he initiallly thought it was HID.
Copy, my bad...

Nissan Forum > Altima/Stanza > L31 2002 - 2006
Related Reading: Changing HID Xenon headlight to halogen lamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.