2.5S pre-cat problems & engine replacement - Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

2.5S pre-cat problems & engine replacement

Hello everyone, this is my first post here but I have been on nissanclub for a while. I have been doing a little research into the big precat issue with the 02/03 2.5S engines. My dealer has now informed me that indeed that is my problem. LISTEN UP! If your 2.5S has less than 80k on it, the exhaust is manufacturer warrantied, by law. Since my car falls within those parameters NISSAN IS COVERING ENGINE REPLACEMENT. I don't have a manufacturers extended warranty, I do have an extended warranty through a warranty company but the service manager told me that they weren't even contacting them because Nissan found the flaw and is fixing it. Maybe they are finally actually owning up to their defective exhaust systems on those model engines. I don't want to count my chickens yet because even though the new engine is there, I don't have the car yet but I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that I made the service manager aware that I researched this problem and I let him view tons of material that supports this issue. In fact, some of that material that I found was here in nissanforums. Thanks to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:23 PM
NissanForums Newbie

I am thrilled to find you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-ROCK2000
Hello everyone, this is my first post here but I have been on nissanclub for a while. I have been doing a little research into the big precat issue with the 02/03 2.5S engines. My dealer has now informed me that indeed that is my problem. LISTEN UP! If your 2.5S has less than 80k on it, the exhaust is manufacturer warrantied, by law. Since my car falls within those parameters NISSAN IS COVERING ENGINE REPLACEMENT. I don't have a manufacturers extended warranty, I do have an extended warranty through a warranty company but the service manager told me that they weren't even contacting them because Nissan found the flaw and is fixing it. Maybe they are finally actually owning up to their defective exhaust systems on those model engines. I don't want to count my chickens yet because even though the new engine is there, I don't have the car yet but I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that I made the service manager aware that I researched this problem and I let him view tons of material that supports this issue. In fact, some of that material that I found was here in nissanforums. Thanks to all
Hello! This sounds strange, but I'm thrilled to find that other people are having this exact same problem. I have been beside myself with worry over it. I am getting the runaround like crazy. Do you recommend going straight to the dealer to resolve? I've been dealing with an agent at Nissan North America, but getting nowhere. My agent says she's "working with the dealership." My challenge is that I'm around 88K and I bought my car at Carmax. What should I do now? My Carmax warranty won't touch it and they've referred me back to Nissan. But Nissan is saying they can't help b/c I didn't buy it there and I'm past the manuf warranty. What should I do now? Should I show up at the dealership with my evidence? Thanks for your help!
post #3 of 20 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper
Hello! This sounds strange, but I'm thrilled to find that other people are having this exact same problem. I have been beside myself with worry over it. I am getting the runaround like crazy. Do you recommend going straight to the dealer to resolve? I've been dealing with an agent at Nissan North America, but getting nowhere. My agent says she's "working with the dealership." My challenge is that I'm around 88K and I bought my car at Carmax. What should I do now? My Carmax warranty won't touch it and they've referred me back to Nissan. But Nissan is saying they can't help b/c I didn't buy it there and I'm past the manuf warranty. What should I do now? Should I show up at the dealership with my evidence? Thanks for your help!

First I'd run your VIN with NNA and see if the pre-cat recall procedure was performed, if it was, find the number for the dealership that did it. Contact them and ask for the records and present that to NNA, dispute the fact that the recall work was done and the pre-cat still managed to ruin the engine. You may have a tougher fight being that the exhaust is over the 80k, but I've heard it can still be done....
post #4 of 20 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Nissan Enthusiast

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what exactly is the "pre-cat" issue?
Is there a forum link to more detailed info on this subject?

Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 20 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

The pre-cat issue is this, I'm trying to quote it as best as I can, saw it in numerous TSB's. At excessive heat and certain driving conditions, the materials in the pre-catalyst can deteriorate and sand-like particles can be sucked back into the engine, scoring the cylinder walls. This will increase oil consumption and/or coolant consumption which in turn will lower overall engine compression. If the owner continues to drive the vehicle under these conditions, the engine will need to be replaced.
post #6 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Nissan Enthusiast

Appreciate the information. Is there a forum link for a solid preventative maintenance / modification fix? I recall reading a spot on a Header Install with a brief spill on possible Emission Testing failure issues associated with it. I'd rather put a good legal fix on my '03 2.5L 77K miles pre-cat, than traverse the roads you have experienced.

Thanks.
Quote:
The pre-cat issue is this, I'm trying to quote it as best as I can, saw it in numerous TSB's. At excessive heat and certain driving conditions, the materials in the pre-catalyst can deteriorate and sand-like particles can be sucked back into the engine, scoring the cylinder walls. This will increase oil consumption and/or coolant consumption which in turn will lower overall engine compression. If the owner continues to drive the vehicle under these conditions, the engine will need to be replaced.
post #7 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

Take a look through this thread, there may be something in here about it. I'll see if I can find some other stuff...

Excessive Oil Consumption 2002 Altima SE - Nissanclub.com Nissan Enthusiast Forums
post #8 of 20 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Nissan Enthusiast

Thank-you.
Quote:
Take a look through this thread, there may be something in here about it. I'll see if I can find some other stuff...

Excessive Oil Consumption 2002 Altima SE - Nissanclub.com Nissan Enthusiast Forums
post #9 of 20 Old Oct 5th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Nissan Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to roadkill2_0 Send a message via MSN to roadkill2_0
do the 2004 engines have the same problem?
post #10 of 20 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 09:58 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivetears View Post
Appreciate the information. Is there a forum link for a solid preventative maintenance / modification fix? I recall reading a spot on a Header Install with a brief spill on possible Emission Testing failure issues associated with it. I'd rather put a good legal fix on my '03 2.5L 77K miles pre-cat, than traverse the roads you have experienced.

Thanks.
I'd ALSO like to hear of a modification or fix!! Nissan should redesign the exhaust system OR buy our cars back! I've heard of factory Nissan replacement pre-cats causing the same exact problem!
post #11 of 20 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Sorta-Newbie

well i had the same problems. fixed the headers and still nothing. i had to replace the engine at my expsne. any way nissan can either reimburse me or do something ? after all, there rep has gone down and i will never buy a nissan.
post #12 of 20 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 03:36 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Hello. Do you have an update on this free repair? I am having the same issue with my 03 Altima - Dealer is not willing to replace ithe engine for free. Can you explain a bit more about what you had to do, say, demonstrate in order to get it replaced? I bought my car new. It now has 72,000, and I want to be able to convince the dealer and/or NNA to replace the engine for free beucase the Cat system is covered for 80K miles under federal law.

Research time for me! Any advise input you could offer would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-ROCK2000 View Post
post #13 of 20 Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 08:26 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Angry Nissan Altima 2.5 giving me hell 144k

I have (not knowing about the existing pre catalytic converter issues/recall) replaced the catalytic converters and now replaced the engine. I had an engine which belonged to a 2005 Nissan Altima with 50,000 miles put in. Now it still stating that it needs new catalytic converter again. The car is acting the same way it did before i'm way past the 80k and past the 100k. For those of you who have had luck after replacing the engine and catalytic converter, i would like to know if the solution lasted very long. I have poured all my money into this car and cannot keep pouring it in.

Please help. Any advise will be appreciated.

thanks,
Bianca
post #14 of 20 Old Mar 6th, 2011, 11:49 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Bianca: I'm in the same boat (except mine is a 2003 Altima). From all that I've read, all the Altima and Sentra cars that have the QR25DE engine in it will eventually have this issue. I'm not a mechanic, I don't understand the whole reason behind it. However, I am currently working with the NHTSA on the issue (since Nissan's recall procedure didn't resolve the issue), and I would recommend that IF you replace the engine, it appears to be highly recommended to forego (get rid of) the precat, either by gutting it (completely getting rid of the honeycomb structure inside) or swap it out with a different header.

At NHTSA, contact: Larry.Long@dot.gov or Ali.Motamedamin@dot.gov and let them know your situation. The more the better!
post #15 of 20 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 06:04 PM
NissanForums Newbie

I have a question regarding this issue of pre-catalyst entering the engine and causing damage to cylinder walls, thus high oil consumption, thus engine burn-out, etc.

Seeing as the pre-cat is located on the exhaust side of the engine and exhaust normally flows outwards - how do particals from a pre-cat which has exhaust gas flow out and away from an engine enter into the cylinders, etc. Is there some secret way that exhaust re-enters the engine to cause such damage??? OR is there some other problem where dirt is entering the engine - such as poor seals along the air intake thereby allowing dirty air to enter via the intake side of the engine??? Just wondering - anyone with an answer - please

Last edited by jimsem; Apr 19th, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forum > Altima/Stanza > L31 2002 - 2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter you desired username.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.