02 Altima 2.5 with no heat, HELP!!! - Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Sorta-Newbie

02 Altima 2.5 with no heat, HELP!!!

The only time i have heat is when i'm on the highway.

I just changed out the thermostat, its had a coolant flush. What else can i do?

I would prefer not to take it to the dealer.

Last edited by blacktruckryder; Jan 10th, 2007 at 01:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Nissan Technician

Sounds to me like you MIGHT have a blown head gasket? This is a common issue with the '02-'04 Altimas with the 2.5s. Take it to a Nissan dealership for a correct diagnosis or you'll do what most people do on here and try to fix it themselves and realize that they can't, so it ends up going to a Nissan dealership anyways...

BTW, Have you correctly bled the trapped air out of the cooling system?

Last edited by metro273; Jan 10th, 2007 at 09:06 PM.
#3 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Sorta-Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I have put the front of the car on ramps, and let it idle for like 15 minutes with the radiator cap off. Then i topped it off with antifreeze and put a new radiator cap on it.

After doing all that, the heat works a lot better. But its still not right, when i stop the heat cools off. It doesn't get cold like it did before.
#4 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Nissan Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro273
Sounds to me like you MIGHT have a blown head gasket? This is a common issue with the '02-'04 Altimas with the 2.5s. Take it to a Nissan dealership for a correct diagnosis or you'll do what most people do on here and try to fix it themselves and realize that they can't, so it ends up going to a Nissan dealership anyways...

BTW, Have you correctly bled the trapped air out of the cooling system?
How common?
#5 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Nissan Tech

That depends on what you mean by common. I have seen about 10 cars a year with this problem.
Blacktruckryder, do you hear any gurgling sound when you accelerate? If so, then you may have the stuck air pocket in heater core problem, which doing what you did should fix.
Do the air doors for the AC/Heater system move? Can you hear them move when you switch them from Cold to Hot? Or from Recirculate to Fresh? If you have the Manual AC system, then you may have a problem with the cable that runs from the control to the door.
#6 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Sorta-Newbie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps180
That depends on what you mean by common. I have seen about 10 cars a year with this problem.
Blacktruckryder, do you hear any gurgling sound when you accelerate? If so, then you may have the stuck air pocket in heater core problem, which doing what you did should fix.
Do the air doors for the AC/Heater system move? Can you hear them move when you switch them from Cold to Hot? Or from Recirculate to Fresh? If you have the Manual AC system, then you may have a problem with the cable that runs from the control to the door.
I think i just had air stuck in the system. I put the car back on the ramps and let it run a little longer. I think that did the trick. It seems to be working now.

I really don't think i have a blown head gasket. The coolant and oil are both clean, the car has never overheated.

Thanks for the help guys.
#7 Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 11:26 PM
NissanForums Newbie

I own an auto/repair facility in Plainfield, IL. I have an 02 2.5L in the shop as we speak that HAD no heat at an idle. Heat for days above idle/under-load.

SOULUTION: SEE J'S REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE ;-) jk jk.... We back flushed the heatercore. Very simple with the right tool.

RESULT: more then heat then you know what to do with at an idle.

J's REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE
815-556-0027
Plainfield, IL

SORRY FOR BRINGING UP A DEAD THREAD!!!!!!

Nissan Forum > Altima/Stanza > L31 2002 - 2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.