Throttle body ECU reset - Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Sorta-Newbie

Throttle body ECU reset

2003 Altima 2.5
Took it in for inspection and service manger tells me throttle body is very dirty. Not an inspection failure, but maintenance to keep it running well. I tell him i've cleaned mine on my 95 Jetta, so I'll just do it on the Altima. He says OK, but tells me the only way to reset the ECU is with the NISSAN computer. Tells me even the Snap-On diag won't reset this ECU.

Anyone know if this is true? The 95 Jetta is OBD 1, so after cleaning, my ECU reset after a few drives (power cycles). I don't feel like paying $90 for something I can probably do.

Can I reset the ECU after the Throttle body cleaning?

Thanks

Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?- FZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Sorta-Newbie

29 looks, no replies?

I decided to just remove the intake hose and not remove or electrically disconnect the TB.
I'll just spray it out that way. Shouldn't need a re-learn if the electrical connector is not removed.

Thanks for the help

post #3 of 11 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Nissan Addict

i didnt see this post before .. anyway... ill have an answer for you by tomorrow... at around this time.. i reallly have no idea if it's true but i'll ask my best friend he's a nissan/inf tech.

What do muscle cars and tampons have in common ? yup.. most pussies have one..
post #4 of 11 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Nissan Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjam
29 looks, no replies?

I decided to just remove the intake hose and not remove or electrically disconnect the TB.
I'll just spray it out that way. Shouldn't need a re-learn if the electrical connector is not removed.

Thanks for the help
2 things... first its electronic you're not even supposed to spray it...
how many miles on the car anyway ?? is it really that dirty that it needs to be cleaned....
advice was .. don't even mess with it..
but in case you do any computer will work..
that's what i was told by a tech..

good luck.

post #5 of 11 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Sorta-Newbie

Thanks for the reply.
The mileage is only 30K, so I had the same question as you regarding how dirty the TB could possibly be.
I haven't had a chance to get under the hood lately, so I'll assess it when i have time.
As far as the TB being electronic,isn't that just the TB control module? I haven't looked yet, but isn't the actual TB a mechanical piece?

Anyway, thanks again for the reply, it makes sense. I'll report any findings when I get the chance to do a thorough inspection of everything.

post #6 of 11 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 07:30 PM
Nissan Addict

it is.. he actually explained it to me in paper..kinda tough to actually type it up.. but his advice was just ... don't mess with it.. at 30k.. it's def not dirty..

post #7 of 11 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Nissan Tech

There are some problems with Altima and Sentra 2.5s having TB getting excessively dirty. You should just clean it out with a good rag soaked with a mild detergent and water. DO NOT let any water drip in (well you can let a little, very little get in, but just try to be careful and not let any). There is a teflon coating inside that is supposed to keep the inside clean, so using something like a chemical cleaner may remove that coating.
The service manager is correct in saying that you need the Nissan CONSULT to reprogram the ECM to correct the idle speed.
The idle will go up after cleaning out the TB, and this may set off an idle speed control code in the ECM. But the ECM will readjust the idle on its own. You may have to live the check engine light being on for awhile tho.
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Sorta-Newbie

So , I cleaned the throttle body with Teflon-safe TB cleaner this wekend. As RPS180 mentioned,the idle was very high initially. I performed the "ignition ON,5x gas pedal depression,wait 10secs,etc." procedure and the idle did reset to a consistent 700 RPM idle.
Car is running great,feels much more responsive,idle is good.
MIL is still on,though. I've only driven about 15 miles since I did it (about 4-5 poweron/off cycles). Should I just wait it out and the MIL will extinguish after driving some more?

I was so psyched when I was able to relearn the idle myself, but I know my wife will soon tire of seeing the idiot light.

post #9 of 11 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Sorta-Newbie

FYI-
I re-learned the Idle with the "ignition on, gas pedal pump" technique.

CEL cleared after about 200 miles,10-20 start up cycles.

Oh, and there is teflon-safe TB cleaner available.

post #10 of 11 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:57 AM
Nissan Addict

glad everything turned out okay.

post #11 of 11 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
NissanForums Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps180 View Post
There are some problems with Altima and Sentra 2.5s having TB getting excessively dirty. You should just clean it out with a good rag soaked with a mild detergent and water. DO NOT let any water drip in (well you can let a little, very little get in, but just try to be careful and not let any). There is a teflon coating inside that is supposed to keep the inside clean, so using something like a chemical cleaner may remove that coating.
The service manager is correct in saying that you need the Nissan CONSULT to reprogram the ECM to correct the idle speed.
The idle will go up after cleaning out the TB, and this may set off an idle speed control code in the ECM. But the ECM will readjust the idle on its own. You may have to live the check engine light being on for awhile tho.
RPS,
By mistake I sprayed the throttle body, I tried the idle relearn, closed position relearn and the idle volume relearn. No luck, idle still won't come back down. Any idea what else I can do to get it to idle right? Tried disconnecting the battery then doing it again, still no luck. Did I just not do the idle relearn procedure correctly? Dont' see how I could mess that easy one up. What else would be making the idle so high? Around 1,400 or so. Any suggestions to get it to come down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forum > Altima/Stanza > L31 2002 - 2006
Gear in this thread - nissan ECU by PriceGrabber.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter you desired username.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.