2000 Altima power loss & gas smell - Nissan Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 4th, 2004, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9
Question 2000 Altima power loss & gas smell

The last couple of weeks I have noticed strong smell of gasoline after backing out of garage. No gasoline smell in garage at all so no obvious leaks. Car starts and idles fine (no misses) and appears to run smooth enough but noticed severe loss of power on hills and acceleration is not what it used to be on the flats. Fumes and power loss appeared about the same time so I expect are related. Any feedback appreciated. Car has 170,000 kms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old Apr 4th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Superdooper Modderpooper!
 
Asleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario, Ca
Posts: 3,192
Send a message via AIM to Asleep Send a message via Yahoo to Asleep
when was the last time you had a tune-up and also when was the last time you had the o2 sensor replaced?
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 5th, 2004, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asleep_94_Altima
when was the last time you had a tune-up and also when was the last time you had the o2 sensor replaced?
Last full tune-up was at 100K. Spoke to dealer who suspects converter...doesn't quite make sense to me but will take it in to them for a check-up. Thanks.
post #4 of 10 Old Apr 7th, 2004, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9
Angry Clogged converter

According to dealer, converter is clogged...may need manifold as well. $1000.
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 7th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Superdooper Modderpooper!
 
Asleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario, Ca
Posts: 3,192
Send a message via AIM to Asleep Send a message via Yahoo to Asleep
why do you need a new manifold? did it crack? make sure they give you the old manifold when they are done. even though our exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking, id want to see the old one when they have it out. its not cheap for the labor or the part on the manifold.
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 7th, 2004, 08:27 PM
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,652
Junkyard! DIY!

05 Frontier SE CC 4x4 (6spd)
Manual Swap Parts!!! Magnaflow Muffer For Sale
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 7th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Superdooper Modderpooper!
 
Asleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario, Ca
Posts: 3,192
Send a message via AIM to Asleep Send a message via Yahoo to Asleep
yes indeeedy.
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9
manifold okay

Manifold was okay...just replaced converter. Like new.
post #9 of 10 Old May 9th, 2004, 10:06 PM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcamp
The last couple of weeks I have noticed strong smell of gasoline after backing out of garage. No gasoline smell in garage at all so no obvious leaks. Car starts and idles fine (no misses) and appears to run smooth enough but noticed severe loss of power on hills and acceleration is not what it used to be on the flats. Fumes and power loss appeared about the same time so I expect are related. Any feedback appreciated. Car has 170,000 kms.
Had the exact same problem : don't know if you have this on cold monrings, but I live in Montreal Canada - gets pretty damn cold in winter. I had gas odor in car on cold morning starts, loss of power, and engine would lope a couple of times immediately after a warm engine re-start (eg 10-15 minutes after short trip with a warm engine)- started at around 95k last year (March/03) - brought to dealer for 100k inspection, and they told me it was the converter.

Lucky it was covered by warranty. Things seemed ok for a while - but this past winter the same problems started again. Back to dealer, they cannot find any error codes or anything - ended up cleaning the throttle body but that did squat.

Recently, the problem has progressed to the engine missing intermittently during idle in drive - as if it was about to stall. But not every day, so it is very strange. Changed fuel filter, plugs (old plugs looked like normal wear), tested wires, rotor & cap ok. Darn thing is that no error codes ever show up, so nobody knows where to look!

Hope your repair lasts longer than mine did - and if anybody has any thoughts, I really would appreciate it! (the dealer mechanic tells me its normal for this model year....I better not tell my friend who also has a 2000, or he'll be jealous of me!!)
post #10 of 10 Old May 10th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Biru O' Kudasai
 
KA24Tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Golden CO
Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACeE3
Had the exact same problem : don't know if you have this on cold monrings, but I live in Montreal Canada - gets pretty damn cold in winter. I had gas odor in car on cold morning starts, loss of power, and engine would lope a couple of times immediately after a warm engine re-start (eg 10-15 minutes after short trip with a warm engine)- started at around 95k last year (March/03) - brought to dealer for 100k inspection, and they told me it was the converter.

Lucky it was covered by warranty. Things seemed ok for a while - but this past winter the same problems started again. Back to dealer, they cannot find any error codes or anything - ended up cleaning the throttle body but that did squat.

Recently, the problem has progressed to the engine missing intermittently during idle in drive - as if it was about to stall. But not every day, so it is very strange. Changed fuel filter, plugs (old plugs looked like normal wear), tested wires, rotor & cap ok. Darn thing is that no error codes ever show up, so nobody knows where to look!

Hope your repair lasts longer than mine did - and if anybody has any thoughts, I really would appreciate it! (the dealer mechanic tells me its normal for this model year....I better not tell my friend who also has a 2000, or he'll be jealous of me!!)
Check the secondary ignition components like the coil and I would go ahead and replace the Cap and Rotor with new Nissan parts anyway. There may be a problem in one of the sensors like the temp sensor which is sending the wrong info to the ECU. See if you can get someone to hook up a service monitor so that the real time info can be reviewed.

Troy

SHIFT_Happiness
1992 S13 240SX SE Fastback KA24DE 5 spd
1993 U13 Altima SE KA24DET 5 spd
1990 Z32 300ZX VG30DETT 5 spd
Still trying to import a 1988 R31 Skyline GTS-R w/ RB20DET-R
Reply

  Nissan Forum > Altima/Stanza > L30 1998-2001 Altima

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gas grade for 2002 Altima danz300 L31 2002 - 2006 23 Oct 14th, 2003 12:54 PM
intake help power loss IronSurfer General Discussion 7 Apr 4th, 2003 09:45 PM
cruise control on 2000 Altima mgazer L30 1998-2001 Altima 1 Mar 9th, 2003 04:16 AM
Altima 96 Gas mileage? chronik U13 1993-1997 Altima 1 Feb 24th, 2003 12:16 PM
Altima 96 Gas mileage? chronik General Altima/Stanza discussion 1 Feb 20th, 2003 11:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On