I've gutted mine and clipped the wires, didn't make any difference. I used bulk gasket paper and cut a new one out when I put it back together.
Now, porting and polishing the TBI helped a bit along with deleting the heater center and bypassing the thermo element coolant lines, but it took a LOT of work.
Owner of NPORA, mod for Nissan-Infiniti Forums, NissanForums.com, NissanHelp.com, AllNissans.com and VGPowered Forums
'88 Pathfinder: 6" of lift, 33x13.50 Swamper LTB's, Rancho 9000's, L&P Stage 3 steering system, K&N, Pacesetter headers and 2.5" exhaust, Lock-Right locker, 110A alty and electric fan swap, dual batteries, 700W+ worth of PIAAs, etc.