Timing & Idle Issues - Oil in Distributor
I'm in a 1992 sentra, standard GA16DE - B13 engine. I failed the TX inspection with high HC (but the NOx is fine after past repairs). The car's performance has not changed at all in the last 4 years. 105k miles on the car, 65k on engine (previous owner replaced engine at 35k miles). The air conditioner belt is cut, the compressor was dead anyway.
I'm using a relatively cheap timing gun from Autozone, and a Sunpro Tach from same place.
After failing the HC for the 3rd time, I did more and more inspections and finally found oil in the distributor (internal oil seal shot, need new one).
I tested the following per FSM (voltage and Ohms or vaccuum) and they appear fine: IACV (ohms and clicking), coolant temp sensor (some corrosion on sensor and plug), injector ohms, TPS ohms and 0' voltage, power steering oil pressure sensor, (new) EGR + PCV. No readily apparent vacuum leaks. Completely cleaned out IACV (which didn't change anything).
When I first checked timing per FSM and the "sticky thread" instructions the timing was at 25'+ BTDC!! (yes, about 5 past the 20 mark). I tried to adjust the timing via the same route, but dialing the screw back all the way only lowered RPM (in my Autozone Sunpro Tachometer) to about 1000rpm (it was at about 1200rpm).
I adjusted the timing to about 10' and dialed the idle down to 1000rpm but the car lacked power and would flatten/surge when accelerating under load above 2800RPM or so. I moved it to 15' and the problem got a bit better. I dialed it to 20' and the car performs "normally."
Now, I realize that the oil in the distributor may have something to do with this, but I cleaned out the distributor with some carb cleaner and no change on the timing or idle conditions.
I'm running out of things to test.... I could just replace the distributor with a new one, but I'm thinking that the results will not be any different.
Last edited by coldfoxred; Sep 7th, 2011 at 02:42 PM.