click/clunk noise - Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

click/clunk noise

Hi. I have a 2007 Sentra CVT tansmission with about 33k. It has had a clicking sound when shifting from drive<>reverse for a while however recently has become louder, making a clunk sound. It always happens when shifting drive<>reverse. It has also started making the sound occasionally when stopping/accelerating. It has a rebuilt title so the warranty is void but had no front damage.

I have read about several different things that could possibly make this sound. I thought maybe an inner cv joint but they seem tight. There is no problems with the cv joint boots, no fluid leaks anywhere. There is a little play in the inner CV joint where it goes into the transmission, but less than 1/8" I would say. I also read about bad motor mounts and hoped this was the problem, but they "look" ok. Seems as if there are 3 of them. And lastly could this be the CVT transmission? It works fine and makes no sound when driving. The fluid seems to be clean. What usually goes bad in these?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated before I take it in to a garage. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM
Nissan Enthusiast

I recently purchased a 2010 Sentra so I am not too familiar with the CVT operation. But I know I like it!

Have you checked the fluid level lately? Also, not sure what the recommended mileage to flushing the fluid is. For standard automatic transmissions I have seen shifting clunks usually fixed by a nice clean fluid flush.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know what you find out.

1996 200SX-SER (Taking a Vacation)
2010 Sentra SR (Making the 200SX Jealous)
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

I took it to the local transmission shop today. He's pretty sure it is the left axle outer cv joint however said it is definitely unusual considering the boot is excellent and there is no popping with wheel cut driving in a circle.

I ordered one today and it will be in next week sometime. I'll repost with the results when I get it in.
post #4 of 5 Old Oct 4th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Nissan Enthusiast

So I should learn to do my homework before making suggestions. I was checking out the design of the CVT and it doesn't use clutches, which means there are no solenoids that route fluid through ports. It is simply a pulley that changes in width causing the belt to ride up or down making the turn ratio change, thus making the wheel rotation speed go up or down.

I know that they started with the CVT on the Altima near the beginning of this century so you may want to check that forum to see if they have similar symptoms, assuming of course this ends up being CVT related.

I hope it is as simple as a drive shaft. But then again that means I may have this problem.

On a side note, I can fell a slight thump when changing from P to R to D or visa versa, but I have to assume it is normal since I am not familiar with the CVT. Mine only has 500 miles on it.

post #5 of 5 Old Oct 4th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Nissan Enthusiast

I found this article about the common thump sound it makes while shifting. Now I am convinced, though your problem seems to be more substantial.

Nissan Forum > Sentra, Pulsar, NX, B14 200SX > B16 2007+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter you desired username.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.