02 Sentra XE Brake Question - Nissan Forum
B15 2000-2006 2000+ Sentra including 2002+ SE-R and SpecV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old Jun 14th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Nissan Enthusiast

02 Sentra XE Brake Question

When braking I notice a thumping noise which feels like its coming from the left front wheel. Gonna check brakes this weekend to see if anything is loose or broken but my question is am I on the right track? Could this be something other than the brakes?

Thanks
Mike

Mike C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old Jun 15th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Nissan Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Xmsteel Send a message via MSN to Xmsteel
Do you notice it feeling lumpy or like it when you slow down, both in the pedal and in your seat (sorry, can't think of a better way to describe it).

If so, you probably need the rotors resurfaced; you can look at the front rotors and see if it has gashes or deep lines all over on it, if so, it might be time to resurface or replace!
#3 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Nissan Enthusiast

XmSteel - Thanks for the reply!!! I pulled the front tires off and checked the rotors and pads ... Rotors are fine inside and outside... no deep grooves. I may need to change my pads but there is still enough pad on both fronts. Also pulled the back off but couldn't get back wheel open to look at shoes. I take it the back has shoes??? Anyways I noticed when I was pulling the left front tire off that the lugs weren't tighten down much at all. After I took the wheel off I tightened all tires good. Drove car this morning and seems that the thumping kinda went away..... I do notice that when I hit the brakes my car pulls a little to the left. Alignment maybe?? Anyways that's the update!

TIA
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmsteel View Post
Do you notice it feeling lumpy or like it when you slow down, both in the pedal and in your seat (sorry, can't think of a better way to describe it).

If so, you probably need the rotors resurfaced; you can look at the front rotors and see if it has gashes or deep lines all over on it, if so, it might be time to resurface or replace!

Mike C.
#4 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Nissan Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Xmsteel Send a message via MSN to Xmsteel
Make sure you criss-cross when tightening, bottom right, top left, etc.

And yes, pulling could either mean that you need an alignment or one of your tires is low on air.
#5 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 09:41 AM
NF Mod

Just because there are no deep grooves, it doesn't mean the rotor's not warped or has thickness variation. Only way to tell that would be to use a dial indicator.
#6 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Nissan Enthusiast

Yep did that when tightening tires... Seems to be driving and braking wayyy better.... Thx again for the help!!!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmsteel View Post
Make sure you criss-cross when tightening, bottom right, top left, etc.

And yes, pulling could either mean that you need an alignment or one of your tires is low on air.

Mike C.
#7 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Nissan Enthusiast

That could be true...I have to take it to my mechanic for the back brakes so I will ask him to check front rotors for warping... Thx for the reply and help!!!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
Just because there are no deep grooves, it doesn't mean the rotor's not warped or has thickness variation. Only way to tell that would be to use a dial indicator.

Mike C.

Nissan Forum > Sentra, Pulsar, NX, B14 200SX > B15 2000-2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.