04 Sentra Spec-V 6th Gear Problem - Nissan Forum
B15 2000-2006 2000+ Sentra including 2002+ SE-R and SpecV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Sorta-Newbie

04 Sentra Spec-V 6th Gear Problem

I am looking at buying a used 2004 Sentra Spec-V. I've test drove it twice and had trouble shifting into 6th gear. I read through some of the posts and people said it takes some getting used to. The second time I drove the car, I was able to get it into 6th gear but it felt sluggish and I needed to apply more force than any of the other gears. Also, when downshifting, it was hard to get it back into 5th. I would either have to jump over to 4th or jiggle the shifter in neutral a bit before it would go back into 5th.

So my question is, is there a trick to getting it into 6th? Or is there a potential transmission problem?

I have had a couple 5-speeds in the past, but I admit I know more about engines than transmissions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Nissan Addict

Send a message via MSN to saint0421 Send a message via Yahoo to saint0421
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSpec View Post
I am looking at buying a used 2004 Sentra Spec-V. I've test drove it twice and had trouble shifting into 6th gear. I read through some of the posts and people said it takes some getting used to. The second time I drove the car, I was able to get it into 6th gear but it felt sluggish and I needed to apply more force than any of the other gears. Also, when downshifting, it was hard to get it back into 5th. I would either have to jump over to 4th or jiggle the shifter in neutral a bit before it would go back into 5th.

So my question is, is there a trick to getting it into 6th? Or is there a potential transmission problem?

I have had a couple 5-speeds in the past, but I admit I know more about engines than transmissions.
I think the earlier 04 models didnt have a reverse lockout mechanism. Takes some getting used to. The reverse lockout on my '05 broke yrs ago. I just got used to it.

So. . . Your face is dumb!
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Sorta-Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint0421 View Post
I think the earlier 04 models didnt have a reverse lockout mechanism. Takes some getting used to. The reverse lockout on my '05 broke yrs ago. I just got used to it.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to check out another Spec-V tomorrow and compare that to the first one if I get a chance to test drive it.

I'd like to say its just me needing to get used to the gears since I love how this car drives. But, even when I was able to get the shifter into 6th gear, it took a lot of force. That and the problem of getting back into fifth when shifting out of 6th.

All in all, my concern is that I could be potentially buying a car that has a tranny that is about to crap out.
post #4 of 7 Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Nissan Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to check out another Spec-V tomorrow and compare that to the first one if I get a chance to test drive it.

I'd like to say its just me needing to get used to the gears since I love how this car drives. But, even when I was able to get the shifter into 6th gear, it took a lot of force. That and the problem of getting back into fifth when shifting out of 6th.

All in all, my concern is that I could be potentially buying a car that has a tranny that is about to crap out.
What yr is the other Spec-V?

post #5 of 7 Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Sorta-Newbie

Well there's actually two I want to check out. There's a 2005 and a 2002.

I'm assuming the 2005 would have the lockout mechanism like yours, and the 2002 wouldn't.

I think saw on some of the threads that the tranny's from 2002 are a little different as well, so I don't know how great of a comparison that would be.

I would love to know what the issue is with the 2004, but I'm scared to buy it if the transmission potentially has serious issues.

'99 VW Jetta Wolfsburg (sold)
-Neuspeed Chip
-WeaponR Ram Air Intake
-Custom Cat Back Exhaust
'99 Grand Prix GT, RIP 11/08...
'05 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V (trade-in)
'09 370Z Base 6MT w/ Sport
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
Nissan Addict

Quote:
Well there's actually two I want to check out. There's a 2005 and a 2002.

I'm assuming the 2005 would have the lockout mechanism like yours, and the 2002 wouldn't.

I think saw on some of the threads that the tranny's from 2002 are a little different as well, so I don't know how great of a comparison that would be.

I would love to know what the issue is with the 2004, but I'm scared to buy it if the transmission potentially has serious issues.

The gearing is slightly different from the 2002 and the 2005.

post #7 of 7 Old Dec 4th, 2008, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Sorta-Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint0421 View Post
The gearing is slightly different from the 2002 and the 2005.
I test drove the 2005 today and I think the 6th gear is messed up on the 2004. I have a fried who has a Jeep which lost a 5th gear and he said his 5th gear felt the same before it completely went. Long story short, I loved the 2005 and I bought it instead of the 2004.

'99 VW Jetta Wolfsburg (sold)
-Neuspeed Chip
-WeaponR Ram Air Intake
-Custom Cat Back Exhaust
'99 Grand Prix GT, RIP 11/08...
'05 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V (trade-in)
'09 370Z Base 6MT w/ Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forum > Sentra, Pulsar, NX, B14 200SX > B15 2000-2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter you desired username.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.