Codee P0455 (Large Evap. System Leak) - Nissan Forum
B15 2000-2006 2000+ Sentra including 2002+ SE-R and SpecV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Nissan Enthusiast

Codee P0455 (Large Evap. System Leak)

For the last week and a half I've had a "Service Engine Soon" light come on and off. It was on when I was driving out of town for 4 days and then when I got home and was about to take it in, it went off... for another 4 days... then yesterday it came back on. I had the code pulled and it came back as P0455, Evaporative System Leak - Large. I have no idea where to begin diagnosing this. What hoses should I check, what should I look for and where is the canister? From what I found it seems that the problem is usually there or the gas cap. Is there anything simple to check or process of following some lines to get to the cause of this? I checked the gas cap and it seemed tight, but I also put some fuel system cleaner in the car, and made sure that the cap was replaced tightly. The code was turned off when it was pulled, and it hasn't yet come back, but I need to know what to look for if/when it does come back.

Thanks in advance

2004 Sentra 1.8s with 39,000 miles FYI

Last edited by slhaas; Jun 3rd, 2006 at 07:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Nissan Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sorority Demon Send a message via MSN to Sorority Demon
One option you could do is hook up some compressed air into your fuel system, preferably nitrogen because it is an inert gas and wont cause an explosion. If you have a leak somewhere you should hear an air leak somewhere. To pin point it use a hose and stick one end to your ear and move the other end around until you clearly hear where the leak is.

04 Spec V, turbo. 07 Spec V, panda. 95 Eclipse GSX, stock.
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Nissan Technician

Alot of times the vent control valve, attached to the evap canister, sticks "open", causing the code you have. We, at the Nissan dealership I work at, replace both items cause the 2 10mm bolts seize up inside of the canister and when they are removed, the canister cracks. That's usually where the problem is at...Good Luck!
post #4 of 7 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Nissan Enthusiast

Where is the canister, and where is the valve... what do they look like? Is there a way to discern if that is indeed the problem (a visual test or something I can do to verify this). Is this a relatively simple job that I can do myself?
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Nissan Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhaas
Where is the canister, and where is the valve... what do they look like? Is there a way to discern if that is indeed the problem (a visual test or something I can do to verify this). Is this a relatively simple job that I can do myself?
The canister and valve are attached together. They are underneath a plastic cover, behind the left rear tire. You need to pressurize the EVAP system, with light compressed air and spray soapy water around the valve. In most cases, the leak will be found right away cause of the soapy water making bubbles.
One note: the vent control valve, attached to the charcoal canister, must be energized(closed) for the bubbles to show.
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Nissan Enthusiast

Am I looking for a fuel, vapor or vaccuum leak? I felt around under there and didnt notice any obvious cracks/holes and no moisture or dirt. It also SEEMS that the light comes on when my fuel gets low, but I'm not certain of this yet because it's what I remember, and I haven't actually tested it yet. What should I be concerned with regarding this issue? Im supposed to drive 1500 miles next weekend. The car doesn't seem to be acting any differently, but am I at risk of a fire or damaging the engine or something, or perhaps a fuel economy loss?
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 01:56 AM
Nissan Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhaas
Am I looking for a fuel, vapor or vaccuum leak? I felt around under there and didnt notice any obvious cracks/holes and no moisture or dirt. It also SEEMS that the light comes on when my fuel gets low, but I'm not certain of this yet because it's what I remember, and I haven't actually tested it yet. What should I be concerned with regarding this issue? Im supposed to drive 1500 miles next weekend. The car doesn't seem to be acting any differently, but am I at risk of a fire or damaging the engine or something, or perhaps a fuel economy loss?

I have 1441 code on mine for about 6 months. It is the same problem as above the vent control valve.

As ask before, is there any thing I should know be for I change this part? Ie tricks.
As for the cost the part at a dealer in Ontario is about $120 CDN. I tried the scrap yard they want $30 but will not warrat the part becuase they can not be tested before they are sold. Does any body else know any where I can get this part cheaper then $120?

Nissan Forum > Sentra, Pulsar, NX, B14 200SX > B15 2000-2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.