How to remove a crank shaft pulley - Nissan Forum
B14 95-99 chassis 1995-1999 Sentra and 1995-1998 200SX

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:49 AM
Nissan Addict
 
LONDONDERRY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Londonderry, New Hampshire
Posts: 822
How to remove a crank shaft pulley

1996 Sentra, GXE Automatic, 1.8 liter
The front oil seal behind the crankshaft pulley is leaking. I was able to remove both belts and I know the Haynes manual mentioned to use an impact air wrench to remove the pulley bolt. I don't have an air tool, so the manual further explains that if you don't have this tool to do the following; ' the driveplate will have to be locked using a prybar inserted throught the inspection cover. Okay so my question is where is this cover? I looked above and underneath the car and I still can't find it.
I know another option is to remove the starter. I don't want to go that route just yet because its brutile removing that off as well. Is there a tool out there, short of using compressed air to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt?

Thanks
Frank
LONDONDERRY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:57 AM
I Live Here
 
IanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richardson Tx
Posts: 3,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDONDERRY
1996 Sentra, GXE Automatic, 1.8 liter
The front oil seal behind the crankshaft pulley is leaking. I was able to remove both belts and I know the Haynes manual mentioned to use an impact air wrench to remove the pulley bolt. I don't have an air tool, so the manual further explains that if you don't have this tool to do the following; ' the driveplate will have to be locked using a prybar inserted throught the inspection cover. Okay so my question is where is this cover? I looked above and underneath the car and I still can't find it.
I know another option is to remove the starter. I don't want to go that route just yet because its brutile removing that off as well. Is there a tool out there, short of using compressed air to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt?

Thanks
Frank
The easy way to do this is to use a socket and a gas pipe, brace it against the ground to stop it from turning, then flick the starter to undo the nut. Since you dont wont the car to start pull the fuel pump fuse, ign etc.
Also note the direction of the engine rotation and make sure you have it so the rotation pushes the socket to the bracing or ground, or it will spin round till it hits something.
I have used this for many many years without a problem.

2003 Pathfinder from 2004 SE 4WD
1997 SER 5sp Manual from new Rear Ended 2009 !!
Gone to the Knacker yard...
New ride 3.0 manual RWD not a Nissan !!!
1997 Sentra GXE from new .... Sold 2008
2001 Sunny N16 RHD from new (N16 Nissan Bluebird Sylphy) Sold
#3 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
Nissan Addict
 
LONDONDERRY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Londonderry, New Hampshire
Posts: 822
Okay, thanks
Is it required to have the belts on or off and which way does the pulley turn, clockwise or counter clockwise.
LONDONDERRY is offline  
#4 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
I Live Here
 
IanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richardson Tx
Posts: 3,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDONDERRY
Okay, thanks
Is it required to have the belts on or off and which way does the pulley turn, clockwise or counter clockwise.
It does not matter if the belts are on or off as you will not be running the engine.
Just a very short crank....
I would just check the direction by engaging the starter. I believe the engine runs clockwise, so it will crank clockwise as well.
And the thread is a standard RH thread !!!

2003 Pathfinder from 2004 SE 4WD
1997 SER 5sp Manual from new Rear Ended 2009 !!
Gone to the Knacker yard...
New ride 3.0 manual RWD not a Nissan !!!
1997 Sentra GXE from new .... Sold 2008
2001 Sunny N16 RHD from new (N16 Nissan Bluebird Sylphy) Sold

Last edited by IanH; Apr 2nd, 2007 at 02:43 PM.
#5 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 98
Why not just use an impact. much easier in my eyes. less chance of messing something up. Once the bolt is out, tap on the pully with a rubber mallet to break it free. If you have a pully puller then use that but if you do not than you can use a pry bar. Use the pry bar and slowly and carfully pry it out. keep moving the pry bar around the pully and it should come out with no problem. once that is off just use a pick or a flat head screw driver to pry out the seal. becarful not to scratch the inside of the block. then tap the new seal in with a rubber mallet going around it and tapping softly so it goes in evenly and you dont tare it. then just re-assemble.
#6 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:33 AM
Nissan Addict
 
LONDONDERRY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Londonderry, New Hampshire
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by redser
Why not just use an impact. much easier in my eyes. less chance of messing something up. Once the bolt is out, tap on the pully with a rubber mallet to break it free. If you have a pully puller then use that but if you do not than you can use a pry bar. Use the pry bar and slowly and carfully pry it out. keep moving the pry bar around the pully and it should come out with no problem. once that is off just use a pick or a flat head screw driver to pry out the seal. becarful not to scratch the inside of the block. then tap the new seal in with a rubber mallet going around it and tapping softly so it goes in evenly and you dont tare it. then just re-assemble.
I agree with your first sentence, however, I don't have any air tools, nor do I care to invest in purchasing them for a one time use. I realise that once the bolt is off I will need a puller to remove it, that I can beg borrow or rent from someone. Thank you for the advice.


Frank
LONDONDERRY is offline  
#7 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:28 PM
Atheist Libertarian
 
captain_shrapnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 669
The make electric impacts, btw. You can loan the puller from autozone.

Stillen intake, HSS Headers, JWT flywheel/clutch, JWT ecu, ST swaybars, Stillen STB, AD22VF, JWT mounts, B+M sts, Walbro fuel pump, Koyo, S4's waiting for install
captain_shrapnel is offline  
#8 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:41 PM
I Live Here
 
IanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richardson Tx
Posts: 3,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDONDERRY
I agree with your first sentence, however, I don't have any air tools, nor do I care to invest in purchasing them for a one time use. I realise that once the bolt is off I will need a puller to remove it, that I can beg borrow or rent from someone. Thank you for the advice.


Frank
mine came off easily, just tap and wiggle it. I didn't need to use a puller.
good luck...

2003 Pathfinder from 2004 SE 4WD
1997 SER 5sp Manual from new Rear Ended 2009 !!
Gone to the Knacker yard...
New ride 3.0 manual RWD not a Nissan !!!
1997 Sentra GXE from new .... Sold 2008
2001 Sunny N16 RHD from new (N16 Nissan Bluebird Sylphy) Sold
#9 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Nissan Addict
 
LONDONDERRY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Londonderry, New Hampshire
Posts: 822
Well I cheated and went to Sears and purchased an impact wrench and socket, then basically returned it. I notice the pulley is keyed. which mean a puller will have to be used. I have a friend that lent a puller but the arms are to big to fit behind the fender. Can somone recommend wehre I can rent or buy the tool?


Frank
LONDONDERRY is offline  
#10 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:42 PM
DNE's VZR Conversion
 
LIUSPEED's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Plano,TX & Anchorage,AK
Posts: 6,079
Send a message via AIM to LIUSPEED Send a message via MSN to LIUSPEED Send a message via Yahoo to LIUSPEED Send a message via Skype™ to LIUSPEED
any auto parts shop.. ie napa , autzone , o'reilly will be able to let you rent the tools.

95 Sentra GXE with Mods - SOLD
95 200Sx SE-R - work in progress

LIUSPEEDTUNING.COM always remember 12/31/08 RIP
#11 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Nissan Addict
 
LONDONDERRY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Londonderry, New Hampshire
Posts: 822
Well I was able to remove all the components and the oil seal as well. This wekend I plan on reassembling everything. I wan to thank everyone for the advise.

Regards
Frank
LONDONDERRY is offline  
Reply

  Nissan Forum > Sentra, Pulsar, NX, B14 200SX > B14 95-99 chassis
Related Reading: How to remove a crank shaft pulley

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Unorthodox Crank Pulley GB thread LIUSPEED Group Buys 71 Jul 6th, 2004 12:31 PM
Crank Pulley Silvspec86 QR25 2.5L Engine 5 Jan 15th, 2004 11:10 PM
Considering making a new QR25 crank pulley LI SilverSE-R QR25 2.5L Engine 10 Jan 13th, 2004 05:48 PM
UR Crank Pulley UnderDog GA16DE 1.6L Engine 9 Aug 14th, 2002 10:58 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On