maxima 2004 brake problems - Nissan Forum
A34 2004-2008 2004+ Maxima

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

maxima 2004 brake problems

have a 2004 nissan maxima
at 26000 km they said my brakes are warped -the warranty only covers it u ntil 20,000km
after they resurfaced it the next day i was still experiencing shuddering at high speeds
again i called and was told theat it is due to overheating and they suggested it was my fault
now i am at 46,000 km
and i am told i have to replace the pads rotors and brakes at a cost of 1000$
there is 30% left

i think this is abnormal -i owned a maxima previously and i never had this happen

please ad vise
thanks
robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:37 PM
Will work for beer

Go somewhere else for the brake work if you can't do it yourself. $1000 is INSANE for those things. The factory rotors are $110 each retail and pads are about $50 a set. so that's $320 for pads and rotors. laboe isn't but about an hour to replace all 4 corners, so there's $100. That's $420 total.

The factory brake pads have been known to be a little soft. they do great for grandma that likes dustless, noiseless brakes, but anyone that uses them more than that seems to have problems with it. before throwing your rotors away, pick up some good aftermarket brake pads- Performance Friction makes some- and install them. don't even bother turning the rotors- just put the new pads in and go for a drive, following Perf Friction's recommended bedding-in procedure.

then come back and let us know what you think.

My website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioaktiv
you guys are picky as shit for internet nerds
post #3 of 21 Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

ref maxima brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Go somewhere else for the brake work if you can't do it yourself. $1000 is INSANE for those things. The factory rotors are $110 each retail and pads are about $50 a set. so that's $320 for pads and rotors. laboe isn't but about an hour to replace all 4 corners, so there's $100. That's $420 total.

The factory brake pads have been known to be a little soft. they do great for grandma that likes dustless, noiseless brakes, but anyone that uses them more than that seems to have problems with it. before throwing your rotors away, pick up some good aftermarket brake pads- Performance Friction makes some- and install them. don't even bother turning the rotors- just put the new pads in and go for a drive, following Perf Friction's recommended bedding-in procedure.

then come back and let us know what you think.
thanks for the quick reply i am in montreal canada are these pads available here ?
would you advise how i can locate them ?
should i try the second suggestion even if the dealer told me my discs are warped ?which is what he says was casued by overheating and it was my fault
post #4 of 21 Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:17 PM
Will work for beer

many times, what feels like warped rotors is actually uneven deposits from the pads.

the pads leave small amounts of material on the rotors, which is different in friction than bare metal.. so when it hits these spots, the brakes grab harder.. when it hits bare metal, they don't grab quite so hard.. so you get a pulsing feel in the brakes and people think they're warped.

do some searching online for the brake pads, and try calling your local auto parts and performance parts stores. usually they can get them for you at a decent price.
If not, give my buddy Edwin a call at http://raceshopper.com/ and he'll get you fixed up.

My website.
Quote:
post #5 of 21 Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

ref maxima

Quote:
many times, what feels like warped rotors is actually uneven deposits from the pads.

the pads leave small amounts of material on the rotors, which is different in friction than bare metal.. so when it hits these spots, the brakes grab harder.. when it hits bare metal, they don't grab quite so hard.. so you get a pulsing feel in the brakes and people think they're warped.

do some searching online for the brake pads, and try calling your local auto parts and performance parts stores. usually they can get them for you at a decent price.
If not, give my buddy Edwin a call at http://raceshopper.com/ and he'll get you fixed up.
ok i called a local dealer -
he sells the pads you recommended but
he recomended i switch my discs for perforated discs and use wagner thermo qiet pads
he is going to get back to me with a price for this
as for your comment on the warping -it was the dealer that reported back to me that all 4 discs are warped
and i do get a pulsing feel at high speed braking
post #6 of 21 Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Will work for beer

STAY AWAY from drilled rotors!!!!!

for what you're doing, drilled rotors would do more harm than good.
The Wagner pads are okay, but I would recommend going with something slightly more aggressive. the Wagner pads are much easier on the rotors, but they also don't have the heat capacity the PF pads do.

My website.
Quote:
post #7 of 21 Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

hi

Quote:

The Wagner pads are okay, but I would recommend going with something slightly more aggressive. the Wagner pads are much easier on the rotors, but they also don't have the heat capacity the PF pads do.
is drilled rotors and drilled discs the same thing ?
sorry for my ignorance
they said they were putting perforated or drilled discs
they never mentioned rotors
post #8 of 21 Old Mar 26th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Nissan Addict

Yes, rotors and discs are for (stock brakes) interchangeable terms.

As Matt said, DO NOT use drilled rotors!!
post #9 of 21 Old Apr 12th, 2005, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

ref maxiam 2004 pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkert
thanks for the quick reply i am in montreal canada are these pads available here ?
would you advise how i can locate them ?
should i try the second suggestion even if the dealer told me my discs are warped ?which is what he says was casued by overheating and it was my fault
ok i followed your recommendation and ordered the performance friction pads
the brake shop justcalled and what they received was
APPLICATION ENGINEERED PREMIUM DISC BRAKE PADS /CERAMICS /SELECT FUNCTION TECHNOLOGY

this is what NAPA sent him when he ordered the one i asked for -
are these exctly the same ?

why would they do a switch then ?
let me know bfore i have them installed
thanks
robert
post #10 of 21 Old Apr 12th, 2005, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

maxima 2004 pads

Quote:

ok i followed your recommendation and ordered the performance friction pads
the brake shop justcalled and what they received was
APPLICATION ENGINEERED PREMIUM DISC BRAKE PADS /CERAMICS /SELECT FUNCTION TECHNOLOGY

this is what NAPA sent him when he ordered the one i asked for -
are these exctly the same ?

why would they do a switch then ?
let me know bfore i have them installed
thanks
robert
post #11 of 21 Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Sorta-Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Baddad
Great advice gents.....but remember, re-surfacing warped rotors is a waste of time and money. By the time they are warped, they are ruined.
post #12 of 21 Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

maxima 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad
Great advice gents.....but remember, re-surfacing warped rotors is a waste of time and money. By the time they are warped, they are ruined.

so you recommend i change them

hve you encounterd this problem with yur maxima ?
post #13 of 21 Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Sorta-Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Baddad
No sir, I haven't had this problem with my Maxima. It's an 05' and I only have 6K on her so far. I've owned Acura's, CRX's, 510's, Porsche's and just about every US manufacturer and have worked for brake shops in the past. I have found that when a rotor is warped, you can re-surface it and it will be fine until it heats up again and again and eventually it will retain its warped state. Allot of the times, you can use your original pads (personally, since I'm in there, I would replace the pads also). Buy yourself a good quality rotor and try not to ride on the brakes too much. I do not think this is an across-the-board problem with Maxima's.

I'm sure there are allot of folks in here better qualified to answer this or give their opinion on this topic, I'm just speaking from experience and for what's it's worth....I'd say I have only about 50+ brake jobs under my belt.

Good Luck my friend,
Craig
post #14 of 21 Old May 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM
NissanForums Newbie

We have a 2004 Maxima. In January of this year we had front rotors turned and pads replaced at 74500 miles. This became an apparent need when after pulsating for a while we began to hear metal against metal sounds. Four weeks after the rotors were turned, we began to feel the pulsating return. Now at 85000, it is becoming dangerous to get the car in tight situations as the pulsating makes it hard to control the car. Our mechanic tells us it is because the back brakes have a problem of some sort with the caliphers which causes the front brakes to do most of the work, which brings an overheating situation and warps the rotors again. He says there is some sort of problem with the brakes on this particular model. Is that true? If so, how do we get this corrected. BTW, we put approximately 100 to 150 a day, mostly highway driving on this car.
post #15 of 21 Old May 6th, 2006, 12:50 AM
NissanForums Newbie

I had warped discs on a 2000 maxima at 30000km. I was told they would replace for 300-400cdn dollars as they were no good anymore.. I said BS and fought dealer. They said I must drive it like some kid booting a TC grand Prix. Bloody cheek of them.
They told me they would machine them down. No blooming way I said. I sell castings and I know these are faulty castings. Soon again warp would come back.
Eventually they said they would replace free. I never checked to see if they were
honest !!! You gotta fight the bastards or they will walk all over you. The same car had tranny failure, tranny replaced but problem still existed --solenoids ?? Found a hidden warranty. Dealer knew nothing !! usual dumbness !!. They spent 10,000cdn dollars warranty on my car. However i traded for a 02 model.Yes an other Maxima 02 , which broke down at 800kms. Chip problem !! Listen up, I now have a 04 model!!!
A sucker for love.
Overall I like performance-to-cost ratio.

Nissan Forum > Maxima > A34 2004-2008

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.