Hey fellow Nissan fans!
A customer bought in their 2000 Maxima yesterday and complained about a rich fuel smell and loss of acceleration when they were driving so I immediately knew that the o2 sensor may have taken a dive. Sure enough the engine pulled the code indicating that the o2 sensor was bad. If anyone needs a simple write-up on the procedure for replacing the o2 sensor in your Maxima then here it is:
**REQUIRED TOOLS AND PARTS**
Floor jack (can be bought at Autozone)
Replacement O2 sensor (I bought a cheap OEM one from Nissan Maxima Oxygen Sensor
1) Jack up the front of the car using a floor jack under the front jack point behind the radiator.
2) Place jack stands under the front supports underneath the door.
3) Lower the vehicle onto the jack stands.
4) Climb under the vehicle and disconnect the electrical connector from the oxygen sensor.
5) Unbolt the oxygen sensor from the exhaust using a socket wrench and O2 sensor socket to remove the sensor.
6) Bolt in the new sensor using the socket wrench and O2 sensor socket.
7) Reconnect the electrical connector to the oxygen sensor.
8) Lower the Maxima to the ground.
9) You're done!