Service Engine Soon Light Question - Nissan Forum
A33 2000-2003 Chassis 2000-2003 Maxima

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 10:20 PM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4
Service Engine Soon Light Question

So my SES light came on, and I'm 90% sure that it was the deal with the fuel cap. It has since gone out finally, but when it came back on when I filled up the tank again. Now it's out again with just over 5/8 of a tank. Anyway, next time it comes on I will have it read, but if was just the fuel cap thing, and the manual says it will go out "after a few driving trips," What is the criteria that needs to be met? Distance? Time? Time between trips? etc...
And yes I am putting the high-test stuff in so I know it's not a fuel grade thing. Thanks in advance.

EB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 09:57 PM
Nissan Technician
 
metro273's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western Burbs of Chicago
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bucho
So my SES light came on, and I'm 90% sure that it was the deal with the fuel cap. It has since gone out finally, but when it came back on when I filled up the tank again. Now it's out again with just over 5/8 of a tank. Anyway, next time it comes on I will have it read, but if was just the fuel cap thing, and the manual says it will go out "after a few driving trips," What is the criteria that needs to be met? Distance? Time? Time between trips? etc...
And yes I am putting the high-test stuff in so I know it's not a fuel grade thing. Thanks in advance.

EB
I work at a Nissan dealership and it's called "Two-Trip Logic". After 2 consecutive warm up and cool downs, if the "problem" is fixed, the ecm sees this as the "problem" being fixed and will erase the DTC from it's memory...Hope this helps.
#3 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 08:59 AM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 2
Is there a way to reset the Service Engine Soon light without taking it in to the dealer?
#4 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:02 AM
Maxima.Org Postwhore
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 265
Send a message via AIM to Puppetmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacers31tc
Is there a way to reset the Service Engine Soon light without taking it in to the dealer?
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/ecu.asp
Puppetmaster is offline  
#5 Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Stockton,Ca.
Posts: 44
this is incorrect. 2 trip refers to the problem not the fix. Simply stated, for most malfunctions, the malfunction must accur during 2 consecutive trips for the MIL to come on.Even though it takes 2 trips to light the MIl light the code is always stored.The light will go out with a evap code and this is at least 40key cycles, but a code is still stored in ecm memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro273
I work at a Nissan dealership and it's called "Two-Trip Logic". After 2 consecutive warm up and cool downs, if the "problem" is fixed, the ecm sees this as the "problem" being fixed and will erase the DTC from it's memory...Hope this helps.
Will@TracyNissan is offline  
#6 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 08:57 AM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 2
thanks puppetmaster

That info definitely helped, it took a few tries, but it worked. The light had come on when starting the car after a week of inactivity, so I'm not sure what the deal is, but it hasn't come on again. Thanks!
#7 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Maxima.Org Postwhore
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 265
Send a message via AIM to Puppetmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacers31tc
That info definitely helped, it took a few tries, but it worked. The light had come on when starting the car after a week of inactivity, so I'm not sure what the deal is, but it hasn't come on again. Thanks!
No problem, glad it worked out for ya. I shoulda mentioned it before, but most people have success doing it with some sort of timer/stopwatch.
Puppetmaster is offline  
#8 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 06:41 PM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7
I find myself in the same boat. I found my service engine light on and when I got home checked and sure enough the gas cap was loose. I checked that link but I'm nervous about putting the car into some mode that I can't get it out of and making things worse.

Has anybody else been through this? How many times did you have to drive the car before the light went out on its own?

Is there any danger in driving it around with the light on if it was NOT the cap? COuld it cause damage to the emission system if there IS a problem I'm unaware of? The light stays on steadily - it never blinks.

Approximately what will the dealer charge to reset the light?

Last edited by Rec DNA; Aug 6th, 2006 at 06:46 PM.
#9 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Maxima.Org Postwhore
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 265
Send a message via AIM to Puppetmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec DNA
Approximately what will the dealer charge to reset the light?
Forget the dealer....

If you don't want to try the reset procedure, just go to Autozone/Advanced Auto or any parts place with a diagnostic tool. Get the exact code that is causing the CEL (and post it here) and have them clear the CEL and see if it comes back. Most places should do this for free.
Puppetmaster is offline  
#10 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 01:40 PM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1
Will the reset procedure work for a 2000 Maxima?

Will the reset procedure work for a 2000 Maxima?

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Forget the dealer....

If you don't want to try the reset procedure, just go to Autozone/Advanced Auto or any parts place with a diagnostic tool. Get the exact code that is causing the CEL (and post it here) and have them clear the CEL and see if it comes back. Most places should do this for free.
#11 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Maxima.Org Postwhore
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 265
Send a message via AIM to Puppetmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax135
Will the reset procedure work for a 2000 Maxima?

Thank you!
No, that's only for 02-03s.

For a 2000 Maxima, all you have to do is leave the negative terminal of the battery unplugged for several hours.
Puppetmaster is offline  
#12 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:36 AM
NissanForums Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4
I had similar on/off SES light on '03 Maxima. Tried the gas cap thing. Didn't work. Light went on and off for apparently no reason. Dealer said it was broken valve in emissions system amd leaking evap canister. As long as light isn't blinking car should run fine. The fix was covered under warranty. Light hasn't come on since.
#13 Old Dec 18th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1
M Garza

I have had the SES light come on several times on my 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE. It will stay on for a while and then it goes off. I've taken it in to a mechanic--he said that without it on at the time he checks it, he cannot diagnose. Although the SES stays on for a while, the engine runs just fine. Occasionally the TCS and SLiP lights come on and it's at that time that the engine runs rough and gas mileage is poor. I have been the only owner, it has about 63,000 miles on it. I change the oil on it every 3000 miles and check fluids every time the oil is changed.

Four days ago, the engine wouldn't start at all. I let it sit overnight, tried it again, and it acted like it wanted to start, but wouldn't actually turn over. I let it sit overnight one last time until I could get someone to check it out and wouldn't you know, when he tried it on the third day, it started, but the smell of gas was extremely strong, as if it was flooded. It started a bit rough but then it straightened itself out and smell of gas dissipated. Seems to be running fine. However, the TCS, SLiP, and the SES lights are all on now. I turned the engine off, restarted it after about an hour, and it runs a little bit rough.
#14 Old Apr 29th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby LUcy View Post
I have had the SES light come on several times on my 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE. It will stay on for a while and then it goes off. I've taken it in to a mechanic--he said that without it on at the time he checks it, he cannot diagnose. Although the SES stays on for a while, the engine runs just fine. Occasionally the TCS and SLiP lights come on and it's at that time that the engine runs rough and gas mileage is poor. I have been the only owner, it has about 63,000 miles on it. I change the oil on it every 3000 miles and check fluids every time the oil is changed.

Four days ago, the engine wouldn't start at all. I let it sit overnight, tried it again, and it acted like it wanted to start, but wouldn't actually turn over. I let it sit overnight one last time until I could get someone to check it out and wouldn't you know, when he tried it on the third day, it started, but the smell of gas was extremely strong, as if it was flooded. It started a bit rough but then it straightened itself out and smell of gas dissipated. Seems to be running fine. However, the TCS, SLiP, and the SES lights are all on now. I turned the engine off, restarted it after about an hour, and it runs a little bit rough.
its same case with me....what did you do to resolve this matter brother???...if you can just email me also the reply @ muzairshamsi@gmail.com, May God bless you.
#15 Old May 26th, 2014, 02:11 AM
Nissan Addict
 
CMax03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 683
This is a defective injector or defective fuel pressure regulator....
Reply

  Nissan Forum > Maxima > A33 2000-2003 Chassis

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Service Engine Soon Light... NTL1991 L30 1998-2001 Altima 5 Oct 23rd, 2005 11:12 PM
Another 'Check Engine' light question. blay Truck & SUV 5 Aug 15th, 2005 07:16 PM
1997 Pathfinder service engine light prob wolfsdad Truck & SUV 10 Jul 28th, 2005 07:12 AM
Service engine light ON plus overheating...need help brother1228 Truck & SUV 8 Apr 2nd, 2005 02:07 AM
question about check engine light? hotnissanbabe2003 Truck & SUV 6 Jul 4th, 2004 12:02 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On