Nissan Forum banner

Few questions about the 240sx

13K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  rhsquicksilver 
G
#1 ·
Hey! I am a n00bie to the board. And I had a few questions about the 240sx. For all generations.
1) What are a few common problems for the 240sx mechincal wise
2) Stats of a 240sx (Like HP, torque and such)
3) How realiblie are they? (If they are like other Nissans then GOOD SHOW I SAY :d)
4) What where the model line ups. Like for an example Se, GS-R kinda thing

Thanks Guys!!

#2 ·
Welcome to the board.
I don't have he answers to all of your questions,
but the 240sx is a great car
there is a base model, SE, and LE
1989-90had a 135 hp SOHC motor
91 on had the 155hp DOHC motor
89-93 had the choice of fastback or coupe
94 was convertible only

Hope this helps.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

G
#3 ·
The only real PROBLEM with 240's is that they tend to eat brakes and caliper sets. A Brembo Big Brake Kit of 300ZX brake upgrade fixes this problem though.

as for reliability, my car has 130K miles on it right now, +or- about 50 miles, and is still making 205 RWHP and running 14's on motor and low 13's on Nitrous.

#4 ·
The SOHC motors have a problem with Leaky injectors, and all hatchbacks have issues with rust under the spoiler. The valve cover gasket likes to leak too (not a big deal). Also the DOHC engines have an issue with the IAA valve getting clogged up and causeing weird idle issues. The timing chain guides like to get loose too, and rub on the timing chain. Listen for a rattle (not ticking). Usually this is easily fixable. The manual sunroofs like to get loose too, and cause excess cabin noise (easily fixed). Check out the FAQ at 240sx.org for LOTS of common little things. There are No major issues though.

300zx brake upgrade.. mmmmm yummy. soon I hope.

89-90 had 140hp and 160ft lb of torque
91-up has 155hp and 160ftlb

also for 89-90 there was an SE and XE no LE. SE had a leather option.
from 91-93 you could get Super Hicas and LSD together. from 95+ you could get LSD w/ ABS as a package.

The KA has been proven to 350+ hp on the stock bottom end, and drivetrain to 450+

Aries - what kind of nitrous setup are you running? Give details :)

#8 ·
Theres the 89-90 SOHC
trouble spots??
The driver side seat tends to wear and rip, there is a known issue with a peace of plastic brreaking on the timing belt in the 89-90 but never known to do anything but make a brief noise on a cold start up.
Cars are great I have a 89 and have had no issues other then typical wear and tear issues.
go to.
importfanatix.com to learn alot about 240sx's

#10 ·
May 12th, 2002, 10:56 AM

WOW! hahaha talk about bringing back the dead :p
its coo though at least he's informative.

there is a known issue with a peace of plastic brreaking on the timing belt in the 89-90 but never known to do anything but make a brief noise on a cold start up.
i ahev this problem. would u just replace ur belts? (i tightened them awhile back and still didn't help)

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.