Nissan Forum banner

Car Won't Start After Replacing Cam/Crank Shaft Position Sensors

25K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  delilahjames 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just got done replacing both the Cam and Crank Shaft position sensors on my 2003 Altima 2.5. Of course, took me awhile to get the Crank Sensor out but I was finally able to do so. Anyways, Put the new sensor in, made sure everything was back in place and good to go, but now the car won't start. Any ideas on what it could be? The wiring harness connected to the old sensor looked quite dirty with oil so I cleaned it. Should i go back and look at both sensors again? Thanks!

#2 ·
Should i go back and look at both sensors again? Thanks!
You don't expect anybody here to do it for you, do you?
Do you have much of a choice otherwise?
Why did you change both sensors in the first place?

#3 ·
What was your reason for replacing the sensors? Were your new sensors OEM or aftermaket; if they were aftermaket, then it would be a good reason for the starting problem. Aftermarket sensors seem to have a good history of not last long and many have been found to be DOA.

You might consider putting back the old sensors to see if it fixes the starting problem.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply. New sensors were OEM bought on Amazon. I replaced them because I was getting the rough idle and sometimes stalled at low speeds. I've done tons of research into this specific problem with '03 Altimas and I know there's a recall to replace cam/crank sensors but my car is not included. My car IS included in a recall to get an ECM reprogram but the dealership wouldn't do it because there was an airbag code and another code that had to do with the previously mentioned sensors (cant remember the specific code number right now) . Anyways, most people that had the same problem as me replaced cam/crank sensors and it fixed the problem most of the time. I just didn't know if there was something I did or did not do that's now causing it not to start.

#9 ·
OK JDG, I think it's time to back off with the flaming. Let's leave the poor guy alone to solve his problem.

To vanguard:
If you can't find your problem with the new sensors, like I suggested, reinstall the old ones to see if one or both of the new ones are defective.

#12 ·
Maybe it's because I thought that before I spent another 45 minutes taking everything off, I should check and see if there was something else that I needed to do? Just looking for advice, No need for you to be a jerk about it or even reply. In the time you took to reply twice, you could have actually done something that contributed to society. Thanks for the help!
I agree like find yourself a Hobbie for godsakes instead of screwing with people who are at wits ends already trying to fix their source of transportation which can be very time consuming, extremely aggravating and well let's not fail to mention expensive. I happen to have an 05 Altima and have the same exact issue. Car started after cam shaft sensor was replaced but since the new crank sensor will not start. Hoping to find a solution as the dealership flashing the computer has been recommended by a few but many have said that's a waste of money and time and unnecessary. I do think the aftermarket sensor may be the issue. I got the cam off of Amazon and it looked the same as the one that came out hut the crank came from auto zone and looked different. Going to put old back in and see what happens. Best of luck to you and hopefully u have fixed your car by now. Any useful info you would like to share that may be of help to me I would appreciate. Thanks